01 :: You Were Warned

CHAPTER 1: You Were Warned

Her tanned legs were crossed as she sat on the barstool with a margarita in hand. Beams from the club's neon signs danced upon her dark skin like the northern lights, and it wouldn't take a genius to notice that she'd been stood up. Creased brows, pursed lips and tapping fingers said it all.

I pitied the guy who passed up on this girl. She's 'fro-to-toe gorgeous, and I was totally batting out of my league here, but here goes nothing.

I downed one more shot and walked up to her. Stepping closer and closer, I rehearsed some pre-written pick-up lines in my head. Say what you want, but there's nothing like a good pick-up line to get on a girl's good side.

When I got to her stool, I opened with a simple, "Hi!"

"Hey," she replied with a tentative smile usually given out to strangers.

"I'm Trevor," I introduced myself, sticking my hand out.

She shook it, saying, "Clio."

I nodded. According to the keychain on Clio's handbag, she went to a university two towns away from Westmont.  That meant she was probably older than me. She didn't have to know that. "Clearvale University," I acknowledged, pointing to the chain.  "What are you taking up?"

"I'm majoring in Bio," she answered, smiling.

"Bio? You must know a lot about all that science-y stuff, huh?"

She giggled. "I guess."

"Hey, is it true there are 206 bones in your body?"

Clio shrugged and said, "Yeah."

"You wanna make that 207?"

Clio's smile disappeared. I should have taken that cue to haul ass but I didn't.  Instead, I stood there long enough for Clio's palm to collide with my cheek.

"Pig!" she exclaimed, jumping off from her seat.

And that is the story of how I got bitch slapped by a Biology major and got kicked out of Bud's Club for "harassment" all in the same night. 

So, let me get this straight. I hit on a girl, and I got slapped and thrown out of the club. A girl hit me literally and she got a free mojito? Where's the justice in that? Huh, I guess the club isn't the best place to find a lover after all.

I ended up walking home alone with a bruising cheek as my only company. The November wind struck chilly and harsh. I missed the warmth back at the club. Even a few blocks away, I could still hear the thumping of rhythm from where I was just chucked out of.  From the sound of it, the DJ just played a remix of YOUTH

Normally, I wouldn't be walking home at 11 o'clock at night. No, that was way too early. I could have gone elsewhere. There were other clubs in Westmont. But since my wingman couldn't go clubbing with me, I got bored. Any occasion was just dull without your best friend with you.

I learned that as I kicked an empty can of beans from the middle of the alley. That, uncannily (no pun intended), is the most fun I've had all night.

Out of boredom, I watched my shadow dawdle on the building wall. It was a very tall shadow; it even reached over the 20th brick from the ground. I cast a slightly larger shadow that night, mostly because I had a thick coat. Kinda hid the fact that I was more on the bony side. But, I was fit! Taller than most boys at school. I just got a slender frame, that's all. Besides, who needs muscle when you already have a pretty face?

You'd think that with a build like that I'd be shooting hoops or swimming rounds, but no. I've never really been that dedicated to sports. I could play soccer but I wasn't that good and I've never really bothered to try out for the teams. I'm no athlete but I could pummel you to death if I wanted to. I'm just too lazy to go to practices.