Back So Soon?

Ridley

I ducked behind a tree right before another batch of guards made a round outside of the palace. I watched them as they approached cautiously from the shadows. There were definitely more guards around then the first time I had been here but I had a plan. As the patrol neared my gaze caught on a demon straggling a bit near the back. He was close to my height and wearing a helmet...he was perfect. I waited with bated breath as the patrol passed by. When the straggler of a demon passed me I picked up a rock, rolling it out from behind the tree. The demon stopped, staring at it confused. His group grew even further ahead as he knelt to examine it. When he did so I hit him over the back of the head with the butt of my sword. The demon fell to the ground and I dragged him into the woods quickly before anyone could notice. I didn't have much time if I wanted to rejoin the group. I quickly stripped him of his clothes and scrambled into them. The moment I lowered the helmet over my head I dashed out from the trees. I could still see the patrol in the distance and I jogged over to them, joining onto the back.

One of the demons turned to me and frowned. "What the hell Joey? What were you doing, taking a piss break? If the commander sees how shitty you are at this job, and pardon the pun here, he's going to put you on horse shit duty again. Remember how awful it was last time that happened?" I nodded, even though I had no idea what horrible ordeal Joey the demon had gone through while he was on horse shit duty, and honestly I didn't think I ever wanted to.

I followed the patrol as they did a few more rounds around the palace and finally they moved to make their way back inside. I tried to act as normal as I could as we made our way across the drawbridge and passed the guards stationed around it. I had no idea what was in the demon castle's moat but it looked like some kind of black inky goo and it made my skin crawl. To my relief, the demon guards didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary as I passed through. With a sigh of relief I entered once more into the demon palace.

I followed behind the patrol squad a bit more before I slipped off into one of the side hallways. Now the real question was how I was supposed to find where the ring was being held in this maze of a building. Silently I stalked the halls, peeking into any open room I could find. I noticed a large wooden door that appeared to be unlocked. That seemed promising. I made my way towards the door and as I reached forward to turn it's brass knob I suddenly froze. I could hear footsteps

"Hey," a gruff voice behind me called. I turned slowly to see a large looming demon standing there.

I attempted to try and make my voice as low as possible when I responded. "Hi there."

The demon narrowed his eyes. "What are you doing all the way out here?"

My mind reeled rapidly searching for an excuse. "I was stationed here."

The mountain of a demon arched a thick brow. "You were stationed to guard a bathroom?"

Shit. I needed to think fast? I needed to come up with something clever...something intelligent and well thought out. He was staring at me! What should I do? What should I say???

"Yep."

There was a beat of silence.

Then finally the demon just shrugged. "Figures. The guard assignments have been a mess since Rick got fired as head of security. Still can't believe they put Brandon in charge. I fricken' can't stand that guy, he's such a little bitch." He lowered his voice. "Don't tell him I said that though, okay bud?" I nodded. "Seriously, Rick wasn't doing that bad a job. It's like, come on, you let the crown prince get kidnapped once and it's the end of your career, it's just not fair!" I nodded again. The demon laughed. "Alright, I'll leave you to it then..." suddenly his gaze caught on something. "Wait a minute." My heart practically skipped a beat. Oh no...had I done something wrong? The demon pointed to my feet. "You have your boots them on the wrong foot buddy. Were you getting dressed in the dark or something this morning?"