Chapter 12

"Pass me those flowers, please sweetie." Grandma Karen asked pointing to some pots near me and I handed them to her smiling and she thanked me.

"Maybe you should go inside and me and Em will finish this for you grams." Addy said as she stopped her job and cleaned the sweat off her forehead. I continued to plant some plants in the ground while grandma took a long sight and tilted her back.

"As much as I enjoy spending time with my beautiful granddaughters, I think I'm going to take your offer Addy." She moved to stand and I quickly moved to help her. "Thanks hun. I'm going to bake a pie for you. If you need something call me okay? I'll leave the back door open!" She said and patted my shoulder a bit before she left.

"The day is so beautiful. It's a shame it's starting to get colder and colder now." Addy complained as she laid back on the grass. I sat beside her and start to think on the events of the previous week.

"Still wondering if it were a mistake?" Addy read my thoughts and laughed a little. "What is done is done, cous. But hey, at least you got some with one of the hottest guys on campus."

"You're not helping you know?" I elbowed her softly and laid back as well. The sky was blue and there were very few clouds and the sun was really shiny. "I don't regret doing it. I'm actually happy I did it."

"You are?" Addy asked completely surprised by my answer.

"Yes. He got what he wanted didn't he? Now he'll leave me alone and I'll be able to love my college life calmly with no daddy in the scene to ruin my mood."

"Hmm, tell me another story Em." Both me and her turned our heads so that we were facing each other. "You liked that hole chasing thing, and deep down I know you like him. You're attracted to him, admit it!"

"Only a blind person wouldn't be attracted to him. He's hot, handsome and knows how to talk to a girl to get what he wants. But no. I don't like him and there's never going to be a relationship between me and him."

"No one spoke about a relationship," Addy emphasized the relationship and laughed again as she spoke. "You're so into him."

"I'm not!" I protested as I got to my knees and continued to plant the flowers grandma asked us to plant for her.

"Yes you are. You're in that denial phase. I know you are. I went through the same think."

"Me and you are completely different. But please let's stop talking about the daddy." I said a little moody as I continued to do my job a little bit harder than usual and Addy got up to finish hers too.

"Okay, okay you win. No more Caleb talks." She threw me a side glance and continued to have that stupid grin on her face.

"What now?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Tell me about Damien then... The hot substitute teacher."

A smile formed at the corners of my mouth with the thought of Damien. He was so cool with me the other day, and he made me completely forget that embarrassing showers scene.

"There's nothing to talk about..." There's plenty to talk about but I want to make Addy beg to tell her.

"Don't make me beg Em! What happened in your date?" She pushed me a little, forcing me to look at her.

"Fine."

Flashback on

"This is a nice restaurant. Can you afford it or will I need to clean some dishes afterwards?" I asked as he parked his car in front of a fancy restaurant. Damien laughed a bit and got out of the car.

"I don't know. Did you brought gloves? We might be here for some time..."

After we entered the restaurant and sat by one of the windows, we chose to order lasagnas and we talked for a bit.

"So, your dream has always been to become a substitute teacher?" I asked while messing with my napkin and he ate some of the bread sticks that were on the table.

"Of course not. I just needed the credits and since your professor was sick I asked to be the substitute."

"Oh... So tell me am I going to get a good score in the pop quiz?" I asked while supporting my head in my hands.

"Well, well, well. I didn't expect this kind of behavior from you miss Styles. I can't believe that you've only agreed to have dinner with me, only to find out your score... You've hurt my feelings." He pretended to be hurt and his expression made me laugh which made him laugh too.

"Well, what can I say? Businesses  are businesses" I took one of the bread sticks and started to eat it. "Do you do a lot surfing?"

"I did, when I lived back in Australia." He answered as the waiter came with our food.

"You lived in Australia? Wow." I said completely amazed and I started to eat my lasagna.

"Yeah for two years when I was nineteen. I did part of my studies there, then came to Miami and then Washington." He explained and smiled to me. "Have you done much traveling?"

"Not really. I've went to London a few times to visit my other grandmother, Seattle and here. I used to live in New York."

"New York, really? Then why did you trade the Big Apple for Washington?" He questioned and I gave a little thought to it before I answered.

"Well, I needed a fresh start. I had a pretty messy breakup with my ex and besides that, I felt like I needed to cut the umbilical cord with my parents you know?"

"Yeah, I get you. But I would still choose another place to live." He admitted and I thought about it.

"Well, I figured it would be easier for me to stay here since my grandpa is the dean of WSU and it would be easier for my folks to not make a fuss about it."

"But that means you haven't cut the umbilical cord."

"What do you mean?" I asked confused, not knowing where he was going.

"Well, if you really wanted to cut the umbilical cord you should have gone to another place, where you wouldn't have your family exercising it's dominance upon you."

"Dominance?"

"Yes. I mean, Emery you're a girl that likes to party and all that and your grandfather being who he is kinda puts a break on your actions. If you really want that real college experience you're always talking about, maybe you should have chosen another place other than Washington."

Flashback off

"Well, he's kinda right." Addy said as she scratched her head.

"I guess so..."

"But tell me about the rest of the evening! I wanna know the juicy details." Addy said as she took my hands in hers.

"There are no juicy details!" I said taking my hands back. "We had a fun evening and that was it. He dropped me off at the dorm and that was it. I gained a new friend. That's all."

"Hmm... I give it two weeks before it turns into a relationship of some sorts."

"Addy!" I slapped her in the arm and she rolled her eyes.

"Either that or a relapse with Caleb."

"Never." I said as I cleaned my hands and got up.

"Never say never cous..."