The Ball

Wear something blue.

Why had he asked for blue?

I brushed the silk of my blue dress as it bunched in stylish ribbons near the top of my hips. The top layer of the skirt was a beautiful royal blue, and underneath was solid black silk. The back of the bodice tightened into a corset that Elizabeth had had me lay down into. She tightened it until my breasts practically spilled out of the top, and my rear would be able to be distinguished across the room.

"These will have the lords drooling." She said, trying to justify my nearly whorish appearance. I could barely stand the sight of my body.

"I look ridiculous." I said, sitting carefully as to not make my breasts fall out of the suffocating bodice.

"You look like every man's secret dream." Elizabeth giggled.

"Not every man." I slipped. She sat next to me and sighed.

"William took my maidenhood." She blurted. The shock on my face as I looked at her must have been over the top. I made a very obvious gasp and she laughed at my expression.

"It was quite amazing, Ayla. And truly I thought I'd be with him forever. But look at me now. I'm married to a wealthy lord and I live in a castle on an estate. I loved William. And now I love another man completely. He's no king, of course.." she trailed off and took a deep breath. "But he wasn't the man I was meant to marry." She softly stroked the top of my hand with hers.

I almost hated her with how wise she was beyond her years. She could see right through me. But she didn't know the real truth behind Thaddeus and I. If she did... I fear what she would think.

"I should want a husband." I said.

"Yes you should."

"I should go into that room with the intention of marriage." My voice grr confident

"You should." She said with a smile.

"I should get married tonight."

"You- Wait, what? Ayla, what?" She turned her head to me and I could feel her eyes darting across my face. I avoided her gaze.

"The king is very intent on making sure I have the finest suitors. He insists on my marriage and what better to make him happy than a marriage here tonight." I said coldly.

"I suppose only you know what you want. I married Harold two weeks after we met and I still feel as though it was too soon. If you insist..." She whispered.

I was blazing mad and I would do anything to hurt Thaddeus. If it meant I needed to marry a wealthy lord and leave York forever, so be it. I could not stand being around him any more than I had to.

If I'd have known losing love hurt this much, I'd have never fallen.

I stood up and slipped on the black stained leather heels Mary had provided for me. They were fairly uncomfortable and I was sure I would fall by the end of the night. I picked up the ruffle of my dress as I walked to the door, careful not to trip on my own dress.

"Let's go. I'm ready."

*
*
*

Elizabeth escorted me through the hallway that I had never even seen before. I had lived here for weeks and the only time I had left that room I was unconscious.