Chapter 32.

Lauren's POV

The day I had least expected to return was finally brought upon me by none other than Dumbledore, who swore to never reveal my whereabouts to the world. I never thought I would be able to stand in front of my entire school and admit that I was Hogwarts' monster. I was supposed to stay a secret until my day of death, and now I stood in front of this very mirror, wondering what the hell I was about to do.

Dumbledore has written a letter for the entire school and again, he knew his death would arrive soon. Except we've all been wondering how he knew he would die soon. Was it a vision? Was it just a feeling that he was being targeted?

I look back at my reflection and take a deep breath, adjusting my Gryffindor tie around my neck. I take a few seconds to stare back at myself, meeting a pair of frightened and somewhat shameful green eyes. I clutch my black robe with a sigh and run a hand through my wet locks, having stepped out of the shower a few minutes ago.

"I think this belongs to you,"

I turn around to find that Camila's looking down at the letter in her hand, wrinkled but wrapped around with a beautiful tie. I take it from her and meet her beautiful, chocolate brown eyes. I want to look happy just as she does but I don't want to accept that everyone will know who the real Lauren Jauregui is. I'm a disappointment, a disgrace, and dangerous to the entire wizard of world. What can I offer as co-headmistress?

I tuck the letter into my pocket. "These are his words, not mine..."

"Dumbledore wanted this for a reason," The smiling Gryff cups my face with her warm hand, trying to hide the pain in her eyes with a lopsided grin. "I think these people need to realize that they're safer in your hands, safer in McGonagall's as well. They need leaders to feel like this is their home during times like these,"

"I can't be a leader," I step away from her touch. "I hurt others,"

"You don't mean to—"

"But I still do," I cut her off. I sit down beside her on the mattress behind us and twirl a loose string on my black jeans. "They look at me and they're looking into Voldemort's eyes. Who the hell is going to feel safe around me?"

"I feel safe around you," She whispers. "Because I know who you are as a person. And if you give them the opportunity to accept you and learn who you are, they'll feel safer than ever knowing one of the world's most powerful witches is co-headmistress,"

I find myself gazing at my reflection, something so different now. I've realized that I no longer look entrapped and unsafe, or disgusted with myself anymore. As a child, I could barely stand to take a glance at myself because I was just so full of scars and hate that it pained me to accept I was a different person.

"Jauregui?"

I quickly sit up and stand when I hear Minerva's croaky voice echo through the quiet room. I watch as she pushes the door slightly open, her side profile visible just slightly before she nods for me to come outside. "It's time, dear."

I look down at Camila and she gives me a small smile, looking down at my shaky hands before entwining her warm fingers with mine. I swallow the lump inside my throat and walk out of the door with the love of my life at my side, silently hoping that everything goes well.

-

"Let the students file in!"

I take a deep breath as I stand in front of the dining hall, where the long tables were to direct their attention to me and me only. I stare up at the arching ceiling and try to keep my breathing at ease, when slowly and almost timidly, students walk in after the main doors are opened. I straighten up when I glance at Camila, who mouths for me to relax.