NINETEEN

Eliza sat at one of the smaller desks in the now empty Slytherin common room, the greenish light from the Black Lake dancing on the walls and furniture in a way that she had come to love

Eliza sat at one of the smaller desks in the now empty Slytherin common room, the greenish light from the Black Lake dancing on the walls and furniture in a way that she had come to love. Having finally caught up on the course work, Eliza didn't want to once more be left behind and thus was already doing homework the very first day of the spring term.

It was past midnight and she was just finishing up the History Of Magic paper that the class had received that day which was actually only due in over a week. But then the entryway opened and Tom Riddle walked in. Eliza could tell it was him more from his aura than anything and did her best to pretend he wasn't there, keeping herself focused on the conclusion of her essay even if the hairs at the back of her neck were standing up.

Tom noticed her sitting at the desk with her work spread out around her, the light from the wall-sized window swimming on her frame, and, pleased to see that she was alone, sat down across from her. Eliza breathed deeply to keep herself collected, and finished writing her sentence before finally looking up at him. She could immediately tell he was irritated by her behaviour, she was playing a game of power and it was not one he was fond of losing.

"Is there something I can help you with, Tom?" Eliza asked, slightly arching a carefully trimmed eyebrow at him as she put the rolled up the finished essay and put it into her bag followed by the textbook.

"What do you think you're doing, Eliza?" he retaliated, not answering her question.

"I was doing my History of Magic homework," she replied, her eyebrow rising higher as she finished packing up her belongings and made to stand up. "But now that I'm finished I think I'll head to -"

"This isn't the time for attitude," Tom interrupted her, also rushing up from his seat and marching right in front of her so that her path to the girls' dormitories was hindered. "Have I not established that you do as I say unless you want to face consequences for it?"

The fear began to build up inside her, but she used it to her advantage, manipulating it into anger instead. "You listen to me Tom, you may walk the halls like you own the damn place and have every person here fawning over you, but not me," Eliza said with a burning that she very rarely let surface. "I know you're used to getting your way, not today, not with me. I am a human being Tom, not some doll you can purchase at the toy store. You can't own me. And if you ever threaten me again, I will tell Professor Dumbledore, you have my word."

For a moment he looked a little taken aback though quickly recollected himself and a small smirk tugged at the corners of his lips. "I must say, I am rather impressed," said Tom with a mocking tone. "You have much more, what's the word, fire in you than I originally thought." Which only makes it more fun.

Eliza hesitated, not sure if he was complimenting her or just mocking her. "Well, I bid you good night."

"Ah," he stepped in front of her again, "not just yet." Tom looked down at her, the smirk growing wider on his lips slowly as she stood still. "Come with me," he ordered, suddenly moving away from her toward the exit.