1 2

"Promise me, when you get the chance..."
Elena moved her hand to her mouth placing
a fingers over her lips and whispering her last word of wisdom to her aunt. "Run."

May 27th 2010

"Run." A voice chanted in the night. "Run little girl, run for your life."

"Run!"

Grace woke in a cold sweat, the sadistic voice still chanting in her head. Looking at the clock she found that it was only eleven, it felt much later.

Her sleep had been heavy, like a blanket, it had enveloped her.

It was suffocating.

Nik had been gone for two days now, and she was worried - more than she cared to admit.

Kathrine wasn't helping.

'well he's not dead sweetie or his compulsion would have lifted'

There were many things that she would think of to occupy her mind. Lighthearted things. Sinister things. Everything kept of coming back to him though. The lack of moon in the night sky. Did the full moon give the spell enough energy? The red sky the next morning. Had he killed Elena?

He was inescapable. It was like she was reliving Kathrine's Bulgarian saga.

Аз не живея: аз горя. Непримирими

в гърдите ми се борят две души:

душата на ангел и демон. В гърди ми

те пламъци дишат и плам ме суши.

Her very being was divided by him, he fuelled her hatred yet calmed her anger. She made him happy yet he had the power to bring out the worst of her. She as bored with out him and yet he left her restless.

И пламва двоен пламък, дето се докосна

и в каменът аз чуя две сърца...

Навсякъде сявга раздвоя несносна

и чезнещи в пепел враждебни лица.

She had made up her mind. In a trance she turned to the door, leaving the room she fumbled for some shoes. Katherine's were all she found but they would do, the more award part of her mind made sure that she snagged a coat off the rack before she ventured out into the cold spring night.

"Grace."

She had woken Katherine.

"Grace?"

There was no reply.

"Grace - Klaus told you not to leave, don't you dare disobey him." But before Katherine could reach out to stop her she had stepped out the door. Katherine pounded her fists against the invisible barrier that had been put in place as soon as Klaus had compelled her earlier that evening.

"Katherine."

"Yes Klaus?" She said not meeting his eyes.

"Look me in the eyes." She hesitantly met his powerful gaze already knowing what came next. "Under no circumstance do you leave this flat tonight, not until I come back and specifically tell you otherwise."

"What about Grace." She said, feeling the compulsion settling in. "Will you compel her too?" She spat at him. Although their feud had lessened while the two of them where around the little human she still hadn't forgiven Klaus and he was yet to forgive her.

"No, I promised I would never compel her. I gave her my word."

"I know you promised but your word means nothing, what happens if you break your word - it wouldn't be a first."

"И подир мене с пепел вятъра навсъде." Grace whispered through the threshold back to Kathrine. She was a hairs width away yet Kathrine was powerless and could only watch as the girl took a step away. "следите ми засипва: кой ги знай?" Grace continued.

"Аз сам не живея - горя! - и ще бъде" Kathrine replied, realising that Grace was reciting the poem that she had taught her mere days ago.

"следата ми пепел из тъмен безкрай." Grace ended solemnly.

Sorry this is so short it's getting to exam season and my teachers are stressing really badly.
Emma x

Here is a rough translation of the Bulgarian Poem Kathrine taught Grace, I can't remember what is was called, if you know it would be really cool to find out!

I do not live: I burn. In acrimony raging
Two souls are dueling within my breast:
The soul of a devil, the soul of an angel.
Their breathing is flame and it gives me no rest.

Not one flame bursts but two – whatever I am touching,
And in each stone two heartbeats I hear clash...
Wherever I go there is an odious doubling
Of two warring faces, which vanish in ash.

And everywhere the wind that follows me is spreading
The ashes: all my footprints are effaced.
For I am not living – I burn! – and am shedding
A trail of grey ashes across a dim waste.