Chapter 8 - The Brig

CHAPTER 8

"Leo!" I shouted in desperation. He wasn't breathing. Why of all things had he stopped breathing?!

Tears began to blur my vision as I shook him again, and the cold, pressing possibility that he could be dead suddenly resided uncomfortably in my thoughts.

I just watched him for a moment, praying out loud as tears streamed down my face, that he would breathe again... but nothing happened. He lay on the wooden floor, motionless, and...

I gulped hard.

Dead.

I looked at his beautiful face, the face of a man who had been through so many things, been let down by so many people, and more importantly, the face of a young man who was too young to have died.

I leaned over him and sobbed harder than I had ever sobbed into his blood-stained shirt, resting my head on his chest.

And that's when I heard it. A strong beating that refused to fade.

It all suddenly came back to me. He just needed breath!

I immediately covered his mouth with mine and pinched his nose, breathing a full lung of air into him.

I repeated it about five times, my body tingling the whole time, hoping that he would pull through, when finally, he began to breathe on his own again. His breath was faint, but it was breath nonetheless.

He didn't wake up, but at least now he was breathing again.

I leaned against the side of the ship and sighed heavily in exhaustion, allowing myself to sob just a few more times from the shock.

He was alive, and he was going to be okay.

***

"HOORAY!" a unanimous cheer from the deck below resounded around the ship.

I peeped over the edge. We had successfully defeated the pirates and the evidence lay cold and dead on the floor below me.

The few who remained alive on our ship quickly scrabbled back onto their own, before the pirates sailed off again slowly into the horizon with their tails between their legs.

I breathed a sigh of relief and checked Leonardo again before descending back down onto the deck below me. I needed to find the captain first to make sure he was alright and tell him about the massive leak below decks, then I needed to get Leonardo to his bed where it was warm and he could rest.

I ran around the deck, searching through the men, both dead and alive, trying to find Kelly. He was nowhere to be found.

There was no point in searching other areas of the ship. He was too noble to be anywhere else but the place where everyone was fighting.

The smell of blood lingered in the air, making my stomach turn, and the disfigured and mutilated bodies laying on the floor did nothing to ease my fears concerning Kelly's wellbeing.

I was about to give up, when I saw a familiar figure amongst the bodies on the floor.

No. Oh please, don't let him be dead!

I ran over to the figure and knelt down beside him in the gore, rolling him over. It was Kelly.

His swollen eyes slowly opened as I rolled him onto his side, revealing his battered face. I pushed back a sob and checked the rest of his body. Everything seemed to be fine, besides a few broken ribs perhaps.

Then he raised his arm.

His shirt sleeve was soaked with blood, and the end had been cut off, as well as his hand.