Chapter 8

To all of my patient readers, thank you so very much.  I'm sorry this took so long.  Please enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 8

Merideth was going to go down in the water with Rory now.  I was aggravated by the fact that I would have to supervise from the deck.  Santi decided I should stay on the main boat and wasn’t even allowed to go out.  I protested, but I was outvoted by everyone else.  Despite the fact that I was the leader of this team, when everyone else is against you, it’s hard to fight it.  Reluctantly, I agreed. 

“Would you lighten up,” Jason prodded as he nudged my side with his elbow.

My hand went to my ribs and I winced, leaning heavily on the railing.

“Oh jeeze, I’m sorry!  I forgot.”

“It’s fine, I didn’t.” I soothed through clenched teeth. 

“I’m a dumbass.”

“I knew that when I hired you.” I rolled my eyes.  “But you’re good at your job.”

“Thanks,”

“Do you think they’re okay?”

“Yes,”

“I’m worried,”

“Mikaela, you have got to learn to let go.  Be less of a control freak.  If I’m good at my job, Rory is phoenominal, and Meri,”

“Meri goes in the tank how often?”

“I know, but she’s great at what she does.  Take a deep breath and let it go.  You picked us because we were the best.  Let us show you that you chose wisely.”

I didn’t like that answer.  What if something went wrong?  What if there was another incident?   What if one of them got hurt?  Or worse?  What if they didn’t tag properly?  What if the footage failed?  What if . . .

“Earth to Mikaela!”  I startled out of my day dream and looked at Jason.  “Mikaela, what’s wrong?”

I gave him an incredulous look.

“You know what I meant!  Other than the obvious, something has been eating at you.  I know you are pissed about being stuck on the boat.  You don’t seem too enthused about the fact that you are now married.  But there’s something else.  I can’t tell you what it is, but it’s something.”

“Jason . . .” I groaned.  He knew I didn’t like talks like this, but he stared at me with his big brown puppy dog pouting eyes.  “That is not fair.”

“Alright . . .” Jason sighed after I gave him my most defeated look.  “Just know I’m on to you, and if you need me, even if it’s to knock that husband of yours around, just say the word.”

“You want to knock Trent around, be my guest.” I grunted.  Jason pushed himself off of the railing and I called out before I could stop myself.  “Oh and Jase,”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.” I gave him a half hearted smile.  It meant a lot that he cared.  It didn’t mean I was about to talk to him about this, but still . . .

“Mikaela, as much as you try, you can’t hide from everyone.  Just know we all care about you.  None of us want anything bad to happen to you.  Got it?”

“Got it.” I nodded.  Somehow, I felt better as I watched him get back to work.  To my great surprise, which I can’t explain, everything went well.  We made up the two sharks we didn’t get tagged yesterday and Rory got some great footage.  There was a storm warning, so our trip was being cut short.  We would have tomorrow morning, then we’d have to head back to port.  We were all sitting, squished around the table.