chapter 47 | dreaded confrontation

Present Day

Present Day

Phoenix's smiling face pops up on my screen as I search for the Nirvana playlist on my iPhone.

"Yeah," I answer rudely.

"Hi . . . Aria, babe. Can we talk? Maybe meet up?"

"What's there to talk about? I mean really? After everything you've done. I think it's pretty clear where you stand, Phoenix."

"Please? Let me explain? I'll come over."

"I hope you don't expect me to just roll over for you."

"I don't! But there's an explanation for everything and I should've told you sooner. All of this could've been avoided. I'm so, so sorry, babe."

"First off, stop calling me that. We both know I'm not your babe. I'm going for a quick run. Be here in an hour." Knowing I have news for him as well, I try to think of the best way to break it to him.

____________________

I get back from my run with a few minutes left on the clock. I go inside and clean myself up. By the time Phoenix arrives, my hair is up in a messy bun and my make-up is fierce. I answer the door wearing my slouchy, off-the-shoulder "Food Over Dudes" T-shirt with capri leggings.

"Hey," I greet him unenthusiastically.

"Hey! You look good, Ari. Really good." He tries to kiss me, but I deflect.

"So — your explanation?" I sit down on the reclining chair.

Phoenix follows and sits across from me on the couch. "Right. Get right to it. OK . . . so . . . you know how you saw me at that club?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, that's the documentary I was telling you about."

"Hmm. I didn't see any cameras or crew?"

"Well . . . that's just it, I went there to do research. Let me come clean on everything. The documentary I'm working on is about swinging. It's about couples in the swing lifestyle. That club you saw me at, it was a swing club."

"No — you don't say!"

"Listen, I hear the sarcasm in your voice." He takes a deep breath and exhales. "I've already started filming. I can bring you footage, if you don't believe me."

"OK. Show me the footage. Now."

Startled by my demand, he blinks a few times. "Alright." He picks up his phone. "Carl, you at the studio?" He looks at me and nods then puts him on speaker. "Have you started editing the party footage I sent you?"

"No. Not yet. I have a long list ahead of it but I can move you to the front of the line."

"No! Don't do that. No need. I'm coming through today. Bringing my girl to watch it. She wants to see it."