Sixteen

Rachel's POV
I looked at Servando and back at my hands as they trembled. He stood up and sat next to me and took my hands in just one of his because they were so big. He used his other one to wipe the tears from my eyes.

"My wife is an incredible woman. She is loving and devoted and caring. And don't tell her I said this, but the woman is always right! I love my wife more than anything else in this world.... it kills me that I can't give her a baby. I really want a kid. And when that day comes, I'll learn to be a good dad. But my wife..... she's already there. She's a mother.... without a baby. I'll never forget the day she adopted you."
"What do you mean?"
"She called me and she was so happy. Happy that she got a kid. When Ashlyn called saying how much the two of you adored each other, I knew that our life was slowly falling together. All thanks to you. She adores you so much Rach and I know you adore her too. She'll do everything she can possibly to protect you from this place."
"I want to make things right between us again. I need to. I can't lose her."
"You won't lose her."
"How are you so sure about that?"
"Because I know my wife."

I turned my head and saw Alex standing on the dock. She got into the boat and set everything onto the ground. Serv stood up and walked away. I felt Alex staring right at me but I didn't want to turn. I saw her sit next to me and then the boat started moving. I looked straight ahead and watched as the sun was beginning to set.

"We don't have to talk about it now but just know that I'll always be here. I promise you that."

We sat in silence for a while and Servando sat with us. He sat on the other side of me so now I was in the middle of both of them. My phone started ringing and I reached over for it. It was an unknown number from the U.K. I answered it and brought the phone to my ear.

Me; Hello?
Nick; Hi, is this Rachel Montgomery?
Me; This is she. Who's speaking?
Nick; My name's Nick Cushing. I'm head co-
Me; Head coach of Manchester City Women's. Oh my god, I'm such a huge fan of your team. They're amazing.
Nick; Well I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear that seeing as their standing right next to me.
Me; Wait, really?
Nick; Yes. Listen, Rachel, the reason I'm calling is because I'd like to propose a proposition to you.
Me; Of course. What's up?
Nick; Are your parents with you by any chance?
Me; Yeah, my mom is. One second and I'll put you on speaker.

I looked at Alex and she looked at me in confusion. I smiled at her and put my phone on speaker and I could hear mumbling and whispers from the other line.

Me; You're on speaker here and my mom is next to me.
Nick; You're on speaker here too. The girls wanted to say hi but it'll have to wait. So, basically, seeing as you're 16 you're not eligible to play professionally  until you're 18 in the States, is that right?
Me; Yes.
Nick; Well here in the U.K. it's 17. I know your birthday is coming up soon so you'd be eligible. How would you like to come play here?
Me; Wait, seriously? Play for Man City?
Nick; Yes. You're well known here Miss Montgomery.
Me; Uh, my name is Rachel Morgan-Press. Montgomery was my foster family name. I'm back with my real family now.
Nick; That's amazing. So, you'll take it into consideration?
Me; Definitely. Wait, what about school? I'm only a junior and I've to take the year out because of my mother's schedules.
Nick; We can enrol you at a school here based on what you're studying in the states. I'll give you a month to discuss it with your parents and if you accept we'll fly you out here to sign some papers or if it's easier for you and your family we'll fly to you.
Me; Thank you so much for this opportunity. I'll call you in the next few weeks with my decision. When will I be joining if I accept?
Nick; My pleasure. Well it's August so October for pre- preseason and to get to know and used to all the girls. Now, if you've time the girls would like to speak with you.
Me; Oh course. Put them on.