Chapter 1: Rebirth?

Because you were the first to add my story in a reading list, thank you!

***

**

*

She opened her eyes with a start, out of breath.

Ever so slowly she came back to her senses, breathing normally once again. Stabbed. She had been stabbed by her beloved sisters!

Gently bringing her right hand to touch her heart's wound, Seyran found her fingers touching a delicate textile and no sign of cut on it whatsoever. It didn't hurt either. No, not really. It wasn't that she wasn't feeling any pain. Since her birth, there was always this unbearable pain she felt and even when she started controlling her powers and though she could diminish that sensation, it was still there.

But not now. Now it had significantly lessened. How come? She could still remember that raspy voice of this nefarious seer telling her 'and 'till your death, you shall forever suffer'. Or was it the answer? Was she dead?

No. There was still the pain; even if the intensity wasn't as much as before it was still here, telling her she was indeed alive.

Seyran sat up, surveying her surroundings. It was as dark as a starless sky. She snapped her fingers. Nothing happened. She snapped them again. Still nothing. The third time she repeated her action, a sharp pain shot through her stomach and she bent over, letting out a soft moan.

Whatever happened to her magic?

She clutched her stomach hard, willing the pain to disappear. She was so weak. Even in her early years, she was certain, she had never felt this helpless.

'Three missing pieces' the old man had said decades ago. 'Our death or your glory'.

Why was she remembering that fanatic words now? Well, she told herself, any distraction from her suffering was welcome anyway!

Some moments later the ache subsided letting her panting. It was so dark; she couldn't even see her own fingers when waving them in front of her eyes!

Seyran sat with her legs crossed and closed her eyes to analyze the situation.

Her thoughts weren't really coherent.

She couldn't possibly fathom the reason for her survival. She was stabbed right in the heart for crying out loud. And maybe had she immediately used her magic on her wound then, of course, she would survive. But she hadn't and two others stab followed right after. Her being alive was simply impossible. And facing this impossible situation, somehow she was at a loss for what to do.

She ought to be angry at the very least she tried to reason but for a reason or another, she just couldn't.

Not if the receiving end of her anger was them.

There was just this empty feeling leaving her emotionless and detached; aloof as she had never been. Now, she could say and actually mean it, nothing matter to her anymore.

She tried to get up, took two steps, walking ever so slowly but lost her balance and grabbed the thing nearest to her. She didn't know what it was, just that sound of materials crashing and breaking followed and soon there were hurried footsteps heard coming her way.

"Mistress!" cried the male voice in alarm, out of breath. "Mistress, are you alright?" he asked at distance not daring to go inside.

That voice sounded familiar. Straightening her standing position and with an autocratic voice she called out.