Chapter Seventeen

Rob pulled out the chair beside Drew in Maths B. "Hey."

"What are you doing, man?" Drew frowned. "Aren't you supposed to sit up front with Becky?"

"Yep. But not today."

"What the hell?" Drew screwed up his face and laughed. "Campbell is gonna go off."

Rob lifted the side of his mouth in a smirk. "Can't be any worse than sitting next to that bitch."

Drew roared so hard as he said, "I can't wait to see this." Rob couldn't help but join in.

The whole class looked back at them wondering what was going on and without knowing started to laugh too.

Rob watched Becky scowl and turn to the front.

By the time Mr. Campbell entered the room, they had settled down to a titter. "Alright! Yeah. I know it's Friday and we're all happy but this is Maths B. Get your books opened at page one hundred and fifty-eight." Steve Campbell ran his eyes around the room and threw a piece of chalk at Rob. It hit him in the neck. Rob jerked upright. The teacher pointed and said, "Jarvis! That's not your seat."

"It is today, sir."

The class went quiet. Drew sucked in a breath and slammed his mouth shut.

"I beg your pardon." Campbell peered at Rob.

He folded his arms across his chest. "I said it is today, sir."

Steve looked over both of his shoulders and scowled, "Just checking to see who put you in charge." He jabbed his finger through the air. "Move your arse and get to your proper seat. Now!"

Rob stayed in his seat and said, "Ain't gonna happen, sir."

Steve Campbell took a step forward. "Are you refusing to sit in the seat that I assigned to you?"

"Yes, sir I am."

"And may I ask why?"

"No, sir."

Steve sneered. "So...what?" He held his palm toward Becky. "Did you and Becky have a lovers tiff or something? Is that what's going on?"

"Or something, sir."

Steve lost it. He thrust his head forward and boomed, "Stop being a smart arse, Jarvis! Get yourself to the office and stand on the white line! I'll be there soon!" Mr. Campbell walked to the blackboard and started writing. "The rest of you! Faces to the front!"

The class stayed deathly silent. Rob packed up his books. Drew leaned toward him. "What the fuck, Rob? You're gonna get done."

"Like I said. Can't be worse than sitting next to Black Cat."

Drew saluted and gave him a grin as he muttered, "See you on the other side."

The white line was painted along a row of nails in the timber floorboards on the verandah outside the principal's office. Two year ten boys were already standing there. Rob jerked his head at them and took his place.

"Wow. What did you do to get sent here?"

"None of your business." Rob looked down at them, and then faced the front. His parents were going to have a fit. He hung his head and grinned. It sure felt good to be rebellious. He didn't know why but he was so sick of Becky fucking Bridgestone and the thought of sitting next to her made him want to vomit. He grinned again. What was he going to tell Mr. Campbell when he asked?

Kevin Bradshaw, the principal, opened his door. "Oscar! Tyson! Here! Now!" He frowned and walked towards them. "Wait in my office." He cocked his head. "Rob. What's going on?"