Chapter Thirty-Five: Soteria's Cloak

Forest's POV:

The cold wind blew making me shiver. I stood at the edge of the gaping crater, followed by Professor Lex and the others. A ruckus was forming behind us because of what happened.

I waited for the ashes to disapear. Unfortunately, Grey became impatient and made some wind magic to blew the dirt away, revealing a lone person standing.

And that person... was not Amber.

Because the only one standing inside the crater was a cloaked person. The one who used forbidden magic earlier.

I suddenly dropped to my knees. I turned to look at the side, only to discover a skeleton.

Tears started streaming down my face like a waterfall.

It's a fact that I just knew Amber a few hours ago. But the moment I laid eyes on her, I knew that she's a nice girl. I wanted to be her friend already even if I was a bit, okay, too aggressive at first.

But now, the only and first friend I ever had died... and it's all because of me.

I wailed, "It's my fault! It's all my fault! I shouldn't have told her about the mystery."

Someone patted my head. I looked up and saw Professor Lex smiling at me.

"Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault."

I shook my head as I slapped his hand off my head,

"It's my fault! It's all because of me. If I haven't told her about the mystery, then, she should still be alive right now!"

"That bastard!" I turned and saw Seven glaring at the cloaked person. He seemed to want to rip him already.

I shudder. This is the second time I saw Seven this angry. The first one was so bad, that the dining hall almost got destroyed.

I shuddered.

The six leaders looks like were about to charge at the person when he suddenly held out his hand towards us.

Alarmed, Professor Lex immediately stood in front of us.

I readied myself, expecting that the person would come and kill us already when it suddenly took off its hood.

The next thing that happened took us off guard.

Familiar long golden hair flowed out from the hood as two blue eyes stared at us.

"Hey!"

As if on cue, the seven of us shouted, "Amber!"

We shouted as we ran towards her. But then, Professor Lex blocked our way.

"Hold up! We don't know if that person is really is the girl. She might be the necromancer in disguise."

I titlted my head, "Necromancer?"

Professor sighed, "Well, I haven't taught you guys about this topic yet so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't know." He then pointed at Amber, "Necromancers are those uses forbidden dark magic."

"But she's not a necromancer."

"Then find a way to prove it."

I think and then remembered about our IDs.

I flicked my fingers, "Ha! What about our IDs? Remember that whenever the owner of an ID dies, the ID disappears."

Professor nodded and then turned to look at Amber.

"Show us your ID."

Amber only smiled before tossing her ID to Professor Lex. Professor nodded and took a step back to allow us to pass but he still seemed a bit wary.

Without thinking, I hugged Amber immediately.

"Whoa! Forest, I can't... breathe!"

I suddenly let go in a hurry, "Sorry."

"Amber! Glad you're okay." Grey said in relief which was followed by Seven and Shade.

Ace, Nathan and Ethan only patted Amber's head.

Professor Lex suddenly walked in front of Amber with a serious look on his face.

"May I ask how did you do that? Necromancers are more powerful than us mages. No offense, but earlier, the necromancer seemed more powerful."

Amber only tapped her head, "Strategy."

"At first, I already knew that the necromancer is more powerful than me. I then thought of a plan. Combined with my power, skills and stubborness I was able to be on par with him. Seeing that, he started to make that ball of energy, pouring all of his magic in it."

"From the start, I was a bit confused. Based from his actions, he seemed to be quite a professional. Because he knew that I was an enemy that shouldn't be underestimated. And making that option is kinda risky because if somehow, for example, i'm much more powerful than him, I could easily kill him."

Amber suddenly winked at us, "But then, I noticed that there was something fishy going on. And after some close inspection, I realized the reason why he did that."

She paused. And because we were so eager to know we all asked her the same question.

"Why?!"

"Because he has a hidden trump card." She paused again before clicking her tongue, "And that trump card is this."

She suddenly held out the cloak.

"Soteria's cloak." She said.

Suddenly, the cloak shone. From bottom to the top, the cloak changed in color. The once black and hideous cloak became snow white with golden linings. It shrinked to match Amber's height and body proportion perfectly. There was an eye-catching golden ribbon to keep the cloak in place. And no matter how dirty it is right now, the cloak was dirty-free.

Our eyes widen. Soteria's cloak is a rare cloak known for being able to withstand any strong power or spells. It can change to any design depending on the owner.

"Before the clash, I grabbed the cloak away from him when he was off guard and ta-da! That's the reason why I survived the impact." She said as if it was the easiest thing to do.

We only sighed in relief. The most important thing right now is that Amber survived.

"Let's go back." I said.

But before all that, the crater was suddenly surrounded by people, giving us confused, scared and shocked looks, obviously looking to know what just happened.

"Problem again." Professor Lex muttered irritatedly beside me.

--

Short? I know.

--

Edit:

Some info regarding this chapter.

In Greek mythology,
Soteria (Ancient Greek: Σωτηρία) was the goddess or spirit (daimon) of safety and salvation, deliverance, and preservation from harm (not to be mistaken for Eleos)

So yeah, that's where I got the cloak's name.

Credits to Google, specifically Wikipedia!