15 - I Always Have A Hold On You

"Atty"

"Atty"

I blinked once, twice, thrice. Despite the fact that my vision was obscured, I could see Marg and Eva's strained faces.

"Is she dead?"

I asked, already knowing the answer. That monster would not have spared her. Tears started to fill my eyes. How can I ever forgive myself for this? She was just a kid.

Eva released a breath of relief before smiling a little and pointing her finger to the right. I raised my head, which weighed more than my entire body, and almost cried seeing Rosalie hold that girl by her shoulder. The kid looked so scared and innocent. I glanced at Marg questioningly, who still had tears streaking down her cheeks. A part of my heart was overwhelmed to see so many people worried about me, but my emotions were not important right then. Marg shook her head and shrugged her shoulders.

"I can't even understand."

She said this, raising her hands in the air. What made the monster go soft on that child? I think he has some heart left. I wonder.

Eva handed me some water, which helped me sit upright, and my throat, which resembled the Sahara Desert, felt much better. I was so exhausted physically and mentally, but there were so many questions. First of all, when did I pass out?

"Do you remember anything that happened yesterday?"

Rosalie asked, approaching my bed, and the girl joined her.

"Yesterday? I was blanked out for this long?"

What in the world? I had been bedridden for over fifteen hours, and I still felt drained. Was I hit by a truck last evening?

"So you recall nothing. Do you?"

Eva inquired while placing a soft pillow behind my back, and I murmured a thank you before shaking my head. All I remember is seeing her throat pressed with a knife.

"You were a total bitch yesterday. God, the way you shouted at him! Actually, you threatened him."

What? I heard the entire story described by Marg with utter incredulity. Initially, I thought it was a joke, but their expressions gave me no solace.

What the hell took over my body yesterday? I stared at my gauze-covered arm and didn't know what to make of it. I wasn't even confident about getting vaccinated, but I slit my wrist over and over so that I passed out from blood loss. Nothing was adding up.

"I need some space."

I muttered and pleaded with them with my eyes. It was too much to take in, and my head was about to explode. Marg was a little disappointed, but she understood my mental state, and they all left except that little girl. It seemed like she needed to tell me something, so I called her to me. At first, she hesitated, but slowly made her way over to my bed and stood next to my head rest.

"Hello. How are you?"

I asked, trying to soothe her tensed face. It was a task to push out the words from my throat, but I couldn't show my pain to the innocent kid. She was already terrified of what had happened, and I looked at her bandaged skin.

"Thank you for saving me back there."

Her voice was meek, and she looked so gullible.

"Don't thank me; I would have done the same if you were my sister. And I am honest when I say that. I never had a sibling, but if I had one... You know."

I made a 'duh' face, and a small smile escaped from her, but she soon covered it.

"You know you should smile more. It's a God-given gift, and it's absolutely free. So use it properly, Angel."