Chapter 13: The Stone Table

After a little bit, we looked back. The Witch and all her creatures had left and were now in the distance. We walked up the stairs to the Stone Table. Seeing him up close brought fresh tears to my eyes. We climbed up onto the Stone Table and Lucy got her vial out. She was untwisting the cap when Susan said. "It's too late. He's gone." Lucy and I sat on one side of Aslan and Susan sat on the other. "He must have known what he was doing." Susan told us. "He did. He died so that Edmund could live. The Witch was talking to him about it when she whispered to him. I saw with my necklace." I explained which brought even more tears to the three of us' eyes. I let out a strangled sob, and Lucy and Susan let out a sob too. We laid down our heads on him, and I petted him. "Thank you, Aslan." Susan sobbed out. A few seconds later, we heard squeaking and raised our heads to see what it was. Mice were climbing on Aslan. "Get away! Get away, all of you!" Susan shooed them. "Wait," I said, seeing what they were doing. "Look." The mice were chewing the ropes off of him. Susan, Lucy, and I pushed the ropes off of him. The last rope we pushed off was the one around his nose and mouth. There were cuts and blood on Aslan's nose where the rope was. I set my head down on Aslan's shaved mane. After a second or two, Susan said. "We have to tell the others." "We can't just leave him!" Lucy and I said together. "Lucy, Kat, there's no time. They need to know." Susan told us. I looked down, not wanting to leave, but knowing that Susan was rights. Then a lightbulb turned on in Lucy's head. "The trees."

       After a little while, Susan and Lucy had both fallen back asleep against Aslan. I was against Aslan and tired too, but I couldn't yet fall asleep. I sighed and decided to see how Peter was doing. I touched my necklace and thought:

Peter.

       He was at the head of the camp, which was buzzing around with creatures, and had just stepped out of Aslan's tent. He walked a few steps forward, to where Edmund and Oreius were with a war-strategy board. "She's right. He's gone." Peter told them. Edmund glanced at Oreius and then back at Peter. "Then you'll have to lead us." Peter looked up from the board to Edmund. "Peter, there's an army out there and it's ready to follow you." Edmund told him. "I can't." Peter said. "Aslan believed you could. And so do I." Edmund told him and Peter gave him a small smile. I do too, Peter. You can do it. "The Witch's army is nearing, Sire. What are your orders?" Oreius asked Peter. Peter looked down at the board.

       I was brought out of my vision when I fell asleep, and my hand fell off of my necklace. I guess I was able to fall asleep after all.

I woke up before either of my sister's did. Judging by the height the sun was at, Peter was at battle. I grabbed onto my necklace again and thought:

Peter.

Peter was on his white unicorn with Oreius next to him. They were wearing armour and behind them were many Narnian soldiers, also wearing armour. A griffin flew overhead towards Edmund who was on top of the mountain with the archers and Mr. Beaver. Then the griffin flew down the hill and landed beside Peter. "They come, Your Highness, in numbers and weapons far greater than our own." The griffin told him. "Numbers do not win a battle." Oreius responded. "No. But I bet they help." Peter said, looking across the field in front of him, waiting for the Witch's army to come into sight. A minotaur was the first thing they were able to see. It stood on a rocky part of the ground that was just sticking out of the ground that was really wide. It roared and lifted it's axe in the air. That's when the army came into view. The griffin was right, they had more soldiers than our side did, but I believed in my brothers and the Narnians. Ogres, dwarfs, giants, bears, snow leopards, minotaurs, wolves, and more were in the Witch's army. Then the Witch came into view. She was in a cart pulled by polar bears, and she was wearing a shirt made of Aslan's mane. How dare she?! I looked at Peter who glanced back at Edmund, who gave him a nod of encouragement. Peter looked back towards the approaching army across the field from him and raised his sword. A horn sounded and out side army cheered. The view switched to the Witch who said. "I have no interest in prisoners. Kill them all." The minotaur roared, making the Witch's army cheer. Then the first line of attack started running across the field towards Peter and his army. Peter, his army, nor the Witch and the second half of her army moved. Edmund unsheathed his sword. The Witch's army was about a quarter of the way across the field. Peter swung his sword forward, signalling for the griffin's to do their part. Hundreds of griffins flew high into the air and towards the approaching army. "Look to the sky!" The minotaur ordered his army. As soon as the griffins were above the army, they each dropped a boulder down. The boulders hit people in the Witch's army, squashing them and hitting them. Good plan, Peter! But then the archers on the Witch's side started shouting down the griffins in the air. No! "Are you with me?" Peter turned to Oreius. "To the death." Oreius replies before they both turned to face the army again. "For Narnia and for Aslan!" Peter let out his battle cry before he and Oreius started charging forward, Peter's army right behind them. My view switched to a sky view and I looked down at the two army's running towards each other. They looked so small from up here. I couldn't see much of anything so I lowered my view so I could see better. Peter's army was like a triangle, with Peter being the point, as they ran towards the Witch's army. It seemed to happen in slow motion, Peter and his army, and the Witch's army charging at each other. Some centaurs caught up with Peter and galloped beside him and when they were close to meeting with the other side, they put down their javelins between each cheetah, who was also in the front row of attack, so that it was collide with the enemy's before they would. The cheetahs ran ahead of the army, and the snow leopards did the same on their side. Peter hit his face mask part of his helmet down and he prepared for the collision. The cheetahs and the snow leopards were the first to collide. Time seemed to resume to it's usual speed as the armies collided.

I came out of the vision because of Susan shaking me. Her and Lucy were now awake and she said. "We should go." She hopped down from the Stone Table and rounded it so she was in front of Lucy and I. "I'm so cold." Lucy said before she got down as well. Susan helped me down and she put an arm around Lucy's shoulders and an arm around my shoulders as we started walking away from Aslan. I was still really sad about Aslan, but my mind was filled with worries about Edmund and especially Peter since he was right in the middle of the battle, whereas Edmund was on the top of the mountain with the archers. Lucy, Susan, and I turned back to look at Aslan one more time, his dead body still lying there, before we turned away. After two or three steps there was a loud rumble noise and the ground shook, making Susan, Lucy, and I fall down. Lucy and I turned back to look at the Stone Table. "Susan!" We both exclaimed. She turned to look too. Aslan's body was gone and the Table was split in half. We got up and walked towards it. "Where's Aslan?" Lucy questioned. "What have they done?" Susan questioned as well. The sun came into view right between the two walls of stone and we gasped as Aslan came into view, blocking the sun. "Aslan!" The three of us yelled happily before we an around the Stone Table as Aslan came down the steps to meet us there. As soon as we got to him, the three of us attacked him in a hug. Aslan chuckled. "But, Aslan, we saw the knife. The Witch." I said, really confused. The three of us held onto his fur and walked with him towards the Stone Table as he explained. "If the Witch knew the true meaning of sacrifice, she might have interpreted the Deep Magic differently. That when a willing victim who was committed no treachery is killed in a traitor's stead, the Stone Table will crack and even death itself will turn backwards." He explained. "We sent the news that you were dead." Susan told him. "Peter and Edmund are now fighting in the battle. We have to help them." I said and pulled out my dagger. "We will, dear one, but not alone." Aslan used his paw to lower my arm which held the dagger. "Climb on my back." Aslan ordered, laying down so we could climb on. "We have far to go and little time to get there." I climbed on him, with Lucy behind me, and Susan behind her. "And you may want to cover your ears." Aslan stood up and the three of us covered our ears as he let out a loud roar.