Chapter 32

I walked into the kitchen with my arms stretching over my head then falling right back to my sides. I had an extremely long week on school and it being Saturday and also my birthday, I treated myself to sleeping in late.

I squinted my eyes at the neatly wrapped present on the kitchen counter as I approached Luke who had his back turned to me, silently scrolling on his phone. I took the opportunity to try to scare him by suddenly jumping out at him, but my plan had failed and I was stuck pouting while I received a raised eyebrow from Luke.

"Happy Birthday." He laughed, wrapping an arm around me and pulling him to his shoulder.

"Thanks," I shortly said as I quickly kissed his cheek.

"I got you a little something." He nudged my shoulder as I rummaged through the fridge for orange juice. I stood up and walked over to the cabinet that held our cups.

"I saw." I gave him a small smile.

"Open it." He insisted, probably more excited than I was for my present.

"Okay, okay." I giggled as I waled over to the table with my drink in hand. I sat down and Luke followed after, eagerly waiting for me as I pulled the two boxes towards me.

There were two small boxes wrapped in classic birthday wrapping paper that were tied on top of each other with a thin blue ribbon. I slowly undid the ribbon, peeking over to Luke who looked like he wanted to rip it open for himself.

I pulled off the first box and unwrapped it, throwing the paper aside. By the looks of it, it was a small box that jewelry had come in and a smile instantly appeared on my face. I flipped it open, the first thing catching my eye was the small purple stone. I recognized it as my birthstone as I held the thin silver chain in between my fingers.

"Luke." I whined, out of disbelief rather than annoyance.

"Do you like it?" He asked with a pleased smile to match his brightened eyes. I laughed and rested my head on his shoulder.

"Of course." I answered.

If there was anyone who was good at giving the expected gifts, it was me and Luke. Every year we gave out other clothes or in this case, jewelry, or something cheesy and dumb, like a gag gift.

"There's still another," He said, pulling it towards the both of us.

I peeled the paper of just as easy as the first, and the first thing I assumed was that he literally gave me a box with nothing in it since it was so light. I shook my head as I scratched at the tape that closed the box and eventually got it off. I opened it to reveal a folded up piece of paper.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I took it out, unfolding it and another piece of paper fell in my lap. I picked it up and put in out the table as I read the information on it. My mouth instantly fell open and I gripped onto Luke's arm with my free hand.

"California?!" I yelled from the surprise.

"Yeah." He smoothly replied, watching me as I squirmed excitedly.

"This is for a whole week." I ran a hand through my messy hair that falling in front of my face, still not believing that I was holding an airline ticket to that would land me at LAX. "Spring break, right?" I asked, going over the dates on the paper.

He nodded his head, "Yep." He assured me as I picked up the other piece of paper on the table that had fallen out.

I read over the information, it being the same as mine, but with Luke's name on it instead of mine. I held the two tickets in my hands, wiggling in my seat from the presents.