↳ PROLOGUE

THE WORLD HAD a peculiar habit of changing, as well as the people in it, but for Izzy Holt, there had always been one constant in her life

THE WORLD HAD a peculiar habit of changing, as well as the people in it, but for Izzy Holt, there had always been one constant in her life. And that was the undying dream to become a part of the LAPD, to have her own badge and gun, to be one of those people to bring victims to justice and criminals to their punishment — just like her mother, Diane Holt. Ever since she had been a little girl, seated in the back of Diane's police car, Izzy had yearned to be the one turning on the sirens, to crack jokes with her partner, and yes, as much as it sounded like a total cliché, she really liked the thought of eating donuts for lunch. Needless to say, Diane had been nothing short of inspiring throughout the girl's childhood. The older woman was well-known around the city for her impeccable policework, her kind heart and caring soul. And inspired by her mother's successful, long career at the local police department, Izzy had decided early on that she were to follow Diane's footsteps and become a detective like her, and that was something she was prepared to work hard and long for.

And accordingly, it took Izzy years to get where she wanted. It took long, exhausting years in school, figuring out her sexuality, going through her first crush and heartbreak, dealing the divorce of her parents, but eventually she found herself in the Los Angeles Police Academy. It wasn't easy, in any way, to finish and complete her training, but after all that blood, sweat and tears, she finally woke up to the reality where it was officially her first day as a deputy for the LAPD. On any other day, Izzy would have been tempted to glare at the alarm clock on the nightstand next to her bed, the blaring reminding her that it was already time to get up and get ready for the day ahead, but on this particular morning, her eyes were open at the sound of the first, unpleasantly loud ring.

As if she had gotten any sleep that night.

But in her defense, after all the effort she had given to make her dreams come true, she could finally put on that blue jacket with pride, and smile at her reflection whilst her mother placed the golden badge on her chest.

"You be careful out there, Isadora. The life of a cop is not a safe one, nor the path easy to walk", Diane sighed as she patted Izzy's shoulder approvingly, earning a smile from her daughter as the redhead turned around and faced her retired mother. Frankly, a part of her was sad that she didn't get to work with her, but after a case gone wrong, Diane had gotten shot in the leg, rendering it useless, and she was forced to give up the title of a high-ranking homicide detective — but at the very least, Izzy got to keep the legacy going and make sure the name Holt would be one the LAPD would always remember.

"Were you?", the woman cocked an eyebrow at her mother as she looked up from the floor where she was crouched to greet her best friend — a dog, naturally — and her words managed to stifle a laugh out of Diane's mouth as her red hair shook around her head.

"No, which is why I'm telling you to be", the older Holt warned, but despite the stern look she gave Izzy, there was a fond smile on her lips. Nodding, Isadora made a silent promise to follow her mother's advice, before standing back up and wrapping her arms around the slightly shorter woman to pull her into a warm hug.

"I will. Of course, I will", she sighed out, her eyes closing and lips pursing together as she quietly added, "I wish dad was here, though", saying out loud what neither of them had dared until now. Of course, Spencer Holt still lived under the sunshine of Los Angeles like the two of them did, but after a divorce, Isadora's parents had went their separate ways — it was also why Izzy was yet to move out, simply because her dad had turned his back on Diane and she didn't want to do the same. But even if neither of them said the words, both Izzy and her mother knew that the divorce had been a long time coming, though not the only reason he had walked away.

Squeezing her daughter tight, Diane kept her lips sealed, and let her loving hug do the talking. And as it did, it forced more words to tumble out of Isadora's mouth as she nodded her head one last time.

"I'll make you proud", Izzy assured, her voice a gentle whisper that filled the room with a sense of responsibility, but joy. She had waited so long for this day to arrive, and here it finally was. With a fond chuckle, Diane let go of her daughter and twirled her around so they were facing the long mirror on the bedroom wall again, before poking at the small name tag on Izzy's chest, adorned with their last name shining on it.

"You already have."

»»»

ooo yay, here is finally the prologue to this book! i'm so excited to share this with you guys + to also write about maze, because she deserves so much more appreciation and lesley-ann is an actual queen who i love with ALL MY HEART. and the same goes for kat barrell, who is honestly perfect for izzy!

i rewrote this a couple of times and i also spent a few nights working on isadora's character, but i think i've got a pretty clear image of where i want to go with this now!  this is only the prologue, but there is so much to know about her and i'm just gonna smoothly drop these little facts over the story ((: i'm also gonna be updating her section in my "meet my ocs" book, and i plan on casting her family soon so check that out if you're interested! 

anyway, i hope you liked it, and i hope you guys are (at least almost) as excited for this as i am x 🖤