13

Evelyn's POV

"Evelyn!" I heard my mother call my name from downstairs, I shouted back to her asking what she needed and I didn't get a response so I groaned and slugged my body off of the bed and headed down stairs.

"Evelyn!!!!"

"Mum I'm right here." I sighed as I walked down the stairs to see her sitting at the table with her glasses on and her dark locks falling around her shoulders.

"What do you need?" I asked standing there, unsure of why she was calling me.

"What happened with you and Tom?" She asked so forwardly which surprised me because I haven't spoken to her about it yet.

"What?" I asked crossing my arms, my bruise still there. But fading since it's been five days since the incident.

"You and Tom. What happened." She asked closing her laptop before turning towards me. Taking off her glasses and placing them gently on the table and stared at me with her icy blue eyes.

I cleared my throat starting to fidget, uncomfortable under her stare.

"What do you mean?" I lied through my teeth looking to the side, feeling like a child again.

"Nikki, she called me. She didn't get the whole story from Tom. But she does know that you and Tom aren't friends anymore or you guys are in a fight. Why is that?" She asked, her French accent sounding through the quiet house.

"Mum..." I said softly and she pulled out the chair, inviting me to sit down and talk with her.

"I don't know he's just changed." I shrugged as I sat down, my mother tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Tom? He can never change he's too much of a nice boy."

"No I know, but it's his girlfriend."

"Ah, Tom got a new girlfriend." She spoke, as if everything came clicking together.

"And like always I'm being pushed to the side." I shook my head resting my chin on my hand looking down at the patterned table cloth.

"How many times have you guys been through this?"

"Been through what?"

"This whole thing, Ev. One of you guys gets a significant other and all the attention is snatched. So you guys become so upset with each other." She explained, some of it making sense to me.

"Evelyn, I know you like Tom." She spoke like it was no big deal. Her eyes meeting mine once more.

"Mum I do not!" I said as she held a smile on her face.

"It's just frustrating, it's like I suddenly disappear."

"How do you think Tom felt when you dated Sean? All of your time was consumed by him and Tom was upset and never told you."

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at her like she was speaking a whole new language.

"But mum, he ignored me, he pushed me away."

"And at the end of the day who is always there for you Evelyn. Just think about that." She spoke, leaving me to go into the kitchen.

I started to think about my past relationships I had and how Tom was barely in the picture. If I weren't so selfish I would've realized that earlier. But I was hurt by his words, so I couldn't forgive him just that easily.

I got up from my chair and headed up the stairs, and stepped into my room. My head was clouded with thoughts of Tom. I made my way over to my bed and I laid down softly in it cuddling up against the big pillow I slept with at night. I started to think of all the times that I have pushed Tom away.