Chapter Sixteen

"He's alive!"

Shouts were coming from the city center.

"Where is he? Where is he? Get out of the way. I'm gonna kill him!"

Gimli was just up ahead, roughly pushing through the crowded streets. I was a bit further behind, the dress I was wearing making it harder to run.

We emerged out of the crowd and my hands flew up to my mouth. It was him.

Gimli wasted no time to smother Aragorn. "You are the luckiest, the canniest and the most reckless man I ever knew. Bless you, laddie!" he cried out before I joined in on the hugging session.

"We thought you were dead," I barely whispered squeezing Aragorn tighter. He grunted and I let go hearing his pain. I then saw how injured Aragorn actually was.

"Where is the king?" he asked when Gimli released, his quiet tone revealing how tired he was.

"The great hall," I piped up. "Follow me." I pushed my way back through the crowd, and up the tall stone stairs that lead to the building at the top. 

Legolas rushed up from my right and I watched as his whole face brightened when he saw Aragorn. 'Le abdollen,' he said with a smirk before he became serious again. "You look terrible," he said quietly. This causes Aragorn to chuckle.

Legolas then held up the necklace that we found with the orc, pressing it into Aragorn's hand.

Aragorn looked at the jewel. 'Hannon le,' he muttered quietly, tracing his finger over one of the precious stones held in the pendant. He then looked to me for directions to the king. I point to the large door in front of us and he nodded his thanks before going inside. I was left alone with Legolas.

"You seem a lot happier now that he's back," I say to him with a smile.

"I do not know what we would have done without him," Legolas replied looking at me before walking away. After watching him enter the great hall, I turned around and saw none other than Eowyn standing there.

"Are you alright," I asked, instantly noticing the tears in her eyes.

"He's back," Eowyn said with a smile.

I approached Eowyn and hugged her. I didn't know how on earth Aragorn survived that fall, but I was just happy that he was alive despite him being a little beat up and bruised.

I quickly learned of the bad news that Aragorn brought with him though.

"Ten thousand!" I breathed.

Aragorn nodded solemnly. 

"How are we expected to survive the night?" I asked.

"There will be a way. There always is."

I looked up and nodded, but Aragorn's words did little to restore my hope. Theoden was still without the majority of his best riders, we were to receive no aid from Rohan's allies. 

Things look grim.

~~~

I entered the crowded armory shortly after. It was loud and stuffy in there, and I hated it with a fiery burning passion.

I managed to find Gimli and Aragorn in the midst of all the chaos and I saw Gimli giving me a confused look.

"What's with all the paint, missy?" he asked coking his head.

I found myself smiling. "It's a tradition for Shape Shifters to wear warpaint whenever they go into battle, Gimli. It's blue to show that we have the spirits of our ancestors fighting with us," I explained, and Gimli gave me a sideways glance. I shrugged. "It's just our way of rallying our troops. I thought it might bring us a little luck."