chapter 48 | orange dream

Present Day

Present Day

Ten hours of swing party footage and Phoenix's story checks out. In the three swing parties that were recorded, Phoenix was only in two. He socialized and interviewed guests just as he said. Nora, on the other hand swung with women and different couples every time. Just as he said. And when she did, the camera showed the truth, Phoenix was indifferent to her. They rarely interacted or even spoke to one another at the parties. If he was the slightest bit taken with Nora, I would've noticed it in their body language. Phoenix had no idea when the parties were being filmed, that he'd need the footage to prove himself to me. I believe him.

Phoenix looks very handsome, standing in his kitchen, wearing the "My Girl Earned a Man that Burns" black apron, I had made for him. He's finally opening up, inviting me into his home. Since he's promised to show me divorce papers, we're turning over a new leaf and although everything isn't back to what it was before, I feel we're more connected.

He's a first-time mom's dream, all sexy and domesticated. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was prepping for a magazine shoot. The open concept, minimalist design of his kitchen with white granite countertops, gleaming dark chocolate wooden floors and wooden geometric stools that line the island, are magazine cover-worthy. He's the perfect companion for a girl just starting a family.

"A man that can cook is always a keeper, according to my mama." I rub his shoulders as he prepares dinner. "There's just something about a man that knows how to put together a meal, that makes me feel all warm and gooey inside." I playfully tease as I reach around him and stick my fork in the pan, snatching a spear of asparagus.

"Dinner's almost ready. The baked potatoes are in the stove, the crab legs are almost ready. Want a glass of wine with dinner?"

"Umm. No thanks. I think I'm good. I'll have lemonade, though." My hand lands on my belly. I quickly bury my hands in my pockets.

He pours me a tall glass of cold lemonade and goes back to searing the asparagus.

I take a long sip and wander off, taking a tour of his home. "Did you decorate this place yourself?" I yell back into the kitchen as I wander into his study.

"I did."

"You have amazing taste. I love these African and Chinese masks on the wall." My hand traces the edge of his oak desk when suddenly, I see it. The divorce papers.

Perfect! He wasn't lying. Thank God!

I pick up the packet and flip through it, relieved that it exists.

He told the truth. He's legit. I'm relieved.

Check the case number to make sure it's official.

I roll my eyes at that thought. It's right here. There's no need to go further.

Out the side of my eye, I see a large framed photo of two small girls. Twins. I walk up closer to the wall to get a better view. They look like Phoenix.