Waiting Ch. 8

Chapter Eight

First we tried my house. My Dad was a wreck when we walked in. You could tell because he had all the funeral papers out on his desk, and dark circles under his eyes. "Lexie, is that you?" He called when I opened the door.

"No it's me, Dad," I called back.

Dad appeared, and put his hands on his head. "Taylor," He started, "I'm a complete..." He looked at Mason, and raised an eyebrow. "You're not Nikolas," He whispered.

"No," I told him, "This is Mason...we're good friends."

"Mason Slatter," He said, holding out his hand to my Father.

"Joseph Rodes," My Dad said, shaking his head, "Sorry about the break down."

"Don't worry sir," Mason replied, "I've had many of those before too." I found this hard to believe, but I didn't press the matter.

"Mason came to help me," I explained, "We're going to check here first, and then I have a few places where I think she might be."

Before my Dad could respond, I led Mason up the steps by the hand, and into my room. "Lexie, it's me, are you in here?" I called. I looked under both of our beds, and then in our closet. There were no crawlspaces, so I didn't need to worry about those. I checked Dad's room, the bathroom, the small basement.

"Okay, she's not here," I muttered.

"I told you that," Dad growled.

"We'll be back," I told him, and then grabbed Mason by the wrist, dragging him out the door. "Mind if I drive?"

"Be my guest," He laughed, thinking it was a joke.

I got in the driver's seat, and held my hand out for the keys. Mason reluctantly put the keys into my hand, and I shoved them into the ignition. "So where are we going?" Mason asked, holding on to the nearest handles.

"Hey I'm not that bad a driver," I grumbled, accidently crashing into someone's trash cans. "Ops."

"Uhhh huhh," He laughed, holding tighter.

"Okay well I think I have an idea where she is," I whispered, "And if I'm wrong I'll admit that I have no clue where my sister is."

"Wow," Mason commented, "Felling pretty strongly about this notion?"

"Yup," I answered, and put the car in drive. Mason didn't ask where we were going, he just held tightly to his life, and waited for the car ride to end.

The rain started coming down slowly, and then faster. "Oh great," I muttered, because I just knew that by the time I got to Lexie she would be soaked.

As if reading my thoughts, Mason told me, "I've got a blanket in the back if she needs it."

Finally we were coming close to our destination, and I slowed the car down. "Where are we?" Mason whispered.

"Home," I replied. Before the car even stopped, I zipped my coat up, and ran out the door. "Lexie," I yelled, looking around, "Lexie!!"

My old house was black. Burnt down almost completely. The sight made me sob, and I held myself tighter. "Lexie," I cried, "Lex, it's me."

"Tay Tay," Someone whimpered.

I ran towards the sound, and when I heard crying, I ran harder. "Lexie," I screamed. Her shadow formed on the front step, and I ran towards her. "Mason grab the blanket," I called behind me.

"Got it," Mason said, opening his trunk.

I ran right up to Lexie. "What are you doing out here?" I whispered, standing over her. When she started to cry, I didn't care anymore. I sat on the front step next to her, and held her tightly. She rested her chin on her sisters forehead, and let her cry it out.