Waiting Ch. 9

Chapter Nine

"Mason," Lexie groaned, "Just tell me!"

Mason chuckled, and said, "The boss here, and I go way back; ever since we were in dippers. She's my Mom's sister's daughter."

"So your cousin," I clarified, secretly sighing in relief.

"Yeah," Mason agreed, "And she pretty much lets me hang loose here. So if I talk to her she'll probably agree."

"Well?" I pressed.

"Lexie, would you like to come here after school when your sister has to work?" Mason asked, "That way you can be here with her."

"And get ice cream?" She asked, sitting up.

"Yes, sometimes ice cream," He laughed.

Her eyes widened, and she looked at me. "Please Tay Tay?" She asked, folding her hands together under her chin.

I frowned, and looked at Mason. Then I looked back at Lexie and said, "Fine, but that means you have to go home." I finally understood what the bargain was.

"Alright," She whispered.

I smiled at her, and said, "That's my girl."

Lexie finished her ice cream, and soon fell asleep in her chair. When I knew she was out, I whispered, "Thanks again, I didn't trust you for a minute but I was wrong."

"Don't worry," Mason told me, "And hey, since I'm a volunteer at the firehouse, they always give me a bed there just in case. If forever a reason you and your sister have to get out of the house, you'll either find me there or here. Heck if you two need a bed go there."

I bit down hard on my lip, and asked, "You don't live with your Dad?"

"No," He said sternly, "My Dad get's...angry...a lot."

"Like hits you?" I whispered.

Mason grew stiff, and turned away from me. "It doesn't matter," He assured me, "He's in the army most of the time, and so instead of being home alone, I stay there."

"That's very kind of you," I told him, "For offering that to us. It really means a lot, and I'm really sorry about your Dad."

"Don't worry," He said, but it came out in a growl.

"Mason, that's something I can't not worry about," I argued. But instead of talking to me, he looked at me. He just stared at me, and then got up. He grabbed all of our bowls, and walked behind the counter.

"You ready to head home?" He asked, but it came out in a quiet whisper.

"Sure," I muttered, and picked Lexie up.

Together, Mason and I walked out towards his car. I slid in the back with Lexie again, and Mason got in the front seat. The car ride was quiet, and I really wanted to say something, but I didn't want to upset him.

We arrived home quickly, and I walked Lexie inside. "Thanks again Mason," I called, and waved with my free hand.

"Taylor where have you been?" My dad cried, "I've been going crazy over here? Did you find her?"

Dad came into view, and when he saw Lexie he started to apologize. "Shh," I whispered, "She's asleep." I kissed my Dad on the check, and took Lexie upstairs. I gently woke her up so she could get changed and brush her teeth.

When she did, she crawled into my bed. "Lex, that's my bed," I started. She must have not heard me though, because she closed her eyes, and was asleep in seconds. "Okay," I grumbled.