Chapter 18

Finch made his way through the bedroom towards the back corner where Mush and Romeo's bunk was. Mush had gone to Ike's 'funeral' but hadn't spoken a word.

Finch drew closer to the bed and saw Mush leaning against the wall, arms wrapped around his knees.

"Hey Mush. How're you doin'?" Finch asked, standing next to the bed.

Mush shrugged, looking down at his shoes.

"Ya might wanna take those off," Finch said, motioning towards Mush's boots. "Don't wanna ruin your blanket."

Mush shrugged again and Finch looked at him worriedly, sitting down in front of him. Finch pressed the back of his hand to Mush's forehead and Mush turned his head, brushing Finch's hand away.

"A penny for your thoughts," Finch said.

Mush glanced up at him, dark bags around his eyes. So it's true, Finch thought.

He'd heard Romeo talking about how little sleep Mush had been getting since finding the first boy, but Finch hadn't really noticed. Mush had avoided all the boys since then, but now Finch was seeing the proof.

"I'm scared Finch," Mush admitted in a hushed whisper.

"Scared? Of what? Has someone been messin' with youse?"

Mush shook his head, brown hair flopping into his face. "No, it ain't that. It's no one else."

"Then what's wrong?" Finch inquired.

Mush made a quick check to ensure that no one was in the room before leaning forward. "I don't think Ike is gonna be the only one to die."

Finch's eyes widened as Mush leaned back against the wall. "Why do you think that?"

"Ise just got this feelin'." Mush's face tinged pink as he waited for Finch's response.

"Okay," Finch said slowly. "Do you have any ideas about who it'll be?"

Mush nodded. "I think I know, and that scares me more."

"Who?" Finch asked, heart beating faster as he thought about all of his brother's. Which one would it be?

Maybe Race. His run-in with the boys weeks before had shown that he was prone to making decisions that got him into trouble. Or maybe it would be Jack. Jack was brave, but extremely impulsive and he tended to act before thinking. Finch wouldn't even be surprised if it was Albert. The redhead had an extremely abrasive personality and would probably pick a fight himself.

"Me."

Finch stared skeptically at Mush. "You sure 'bout that?" Mush was easy enough to get along with and avoided doing stupid things for the most part. Plus, since he'd found the boy, he hadn't gone anywhere alone.

"Yeah. Think about it. I found that one kid, right?"

Finch nodded, not seeing where Mush was going with the question.

"Then I found Ike."

"I know all of this Mush, but what does it have to do with you dyin'?"