A Month To Live (44)

I didn't really know what to do after that.

My mom pretty much took over because I'd collapsed into my chair and had just recovered from hyperventilating. I listened to their conversation while I leaned over my knees and had my head in my hands.

'-background checks on the people you hire?' she was yelling. 'You of all people can't recognise a drug addict when you see one? You work in a hospital!'

I zoned out again after that. I couldn't listen to their chatter.

I wasn't going to die.

I just got my whole life back.

'The headaches,' I said, jerking my head up to look at Doctor Cartwright. 'Tell me more about them.'

'They're just normal migraines, Raegan,' he said, seeming relieved that I'd stopped my mother's tirade. 'Easily treatable. Actually... with migraines it's usually best not to over medicate with painkillers. Did they get worse?'

'They got more frequent,' I said slowly. 'But I figured that was because I ran out of the pills.'

'That was probably a good thing. It's not common knowledge but painkillers - overuse of painkillers - can create and worsen headaches. That, along with stress and lack of a proper diet. Skipping meals and not keeping yourself hydrated does not help.'

'I felt nauseous too,' I whispered.

'Another common symptom. Anyway, I suggest you stay off the medication for now - I want to review your dosage and prescription history before seeing what's best for you.'

'Tell me, doc,' I said slowly. 'Have any other patients been effected by this Howard guy? Or was it just me.'

He sighed.

'A few others. I believe your particular case is... well the worst. I think you were one of the last patients he treated. He probably knew his time was running out here and got desperate,' he shrugged.

'I cannot wait to get home and call my lawyer,' my mom hissed angrily.

'I understand. I'll even put you in touch with our legal counsel here. I probably shouldn't say this but... if I were you,' he looked at me. 'I'd take this place down.'

'Why are you saying this?' I asked.

'I can't go into further details without risk of losing my job,' he shrugged. 'But please believe me when I say I'm truly sorry this happened to you. And I'm really sorry but I have other patients to meet today.'

He began to get up and I stood suddenly, surprised at the strength in my legs.

'Before you go...' I said hesitantly, trying to hold it together for a little longer. 'You said my scan was a copy of someone else's. Does... do they know about the tumour?'

'Yes,' he nodded. 'Actually, they've known for years. That was a scan taken from a few weeks ago. But I can't tell you much else - confidentiality.'

‘Can you tell me if they're... are they...

'Dead?' he asked. I nodded. 'No. Not yet. She's in one of our ICU wards though. I don't think it will be long now.'

'She...' I murmured. 'You think it's possible for me to meet her?'

'I can't legally disclose that information.'

'I see,' I said quietly, looking down with a sigh.

I wasn't even sure if I wanted to meet her.

He let out a sigh before leaning over his computer again and rapidly typing. He snatched up a post it note and hastily wrote something down before heading towards the door.