Chapter 34: The Contest

The contest was again similar to the Spring Competition third round. It had been all too familiar for me to do without much thoughts. Several guards threw planks into the sky while the princess and I rode onto the field on our horses. For the last 7 years, I haven't had any rival as strong as the foreign princess. Even the last 2 years, the competition has been a little boring. Now, to face a very strong opponent, I was thrilled. Yun was too.

Fast and steady, Yun guide me through the field not with his eyes but his whole body. He uses his senses to get me close to the planks and steady himself for me to make a shot. It had been so fun that I couldn't help the laughter while Yun speed passed the princess and her larger horse. Unfortunately, I unintentionally angered the princess. She chased after us fiercely. I was alarmed when I saw her outreached leg. Before I could process the situation, my own leg moved to block her attack.

I had to bite down on my lip to stop the painful cry. Her kick had connect to my bottom right leg. I heard Feng's thunderous voice as well as Yun angry neighs. Because of the pain in my leg, I couldn't grip on Yun body. Yun reacted by slowing his speed.

I don't want to lose.

The princess was so far ahead; there was no way for me to catch up. Still, I reached for an arrow behind me and I placed it on the bow. When the guard toss the final plank, I shifted my bow and let the arrow fly. The princess was too far to see that I already release my arrow, so when she lifted her bow, the plank was already shattered above her.

"Lan!"

I almost slip from Yun when Feng caught me. I couldn't stop the whimper with the sharp pain on my leg. Feng eyes were blazing with rage as he carried me off - not saying a single word to anyone.

As Feng carried Wei Lan away...

No one said a word as they watched Wang Feng carried Wei Lan away. Even the foreign princess did not say a word as she clearly saw Wang Feng protectiveness for the petite woman in his arms. Suddenly, she understood that the woman she had been competing with was his Wang Fei.

"Your majesty, that princess was_" The prince of Ruichai asked, clearly shock.

"Princess Fa Wei Lan, also the general's Wang Fei" The emperor voice held concern. "It seems the results of the competition is clear"

Of course it was clear. Fa Wei Lan was already ahead by 3 planks. She didn't need the last plank to win. But by shooting that last arrow, she showed her determination to win. She didn't back down and even protected her horse from the princess attacks.

When Fa Wei Lan first entered the field, everyone immediately took notice of the small beauty in dark blue clothing. Because Wei Lan was never in palace or attend royal events, no one knew who she was. So when the emperor had claimed she was a princess, everyone was confused and amazed. Unlike the women in the palace, Wei Lan's beauty had been natural and simple. Her big light brown eyes were mesmerizing. Her pink lips and small nose were lovely. But what captivated people was her laughter and smiles. Men now understand why Wang Feng never bothered to glance at the foreign princess.

"That doesn't count" The princess was mortified at the results. "That was_"

"Enough" The chief voice was clearly embarrassed by the turn of event. "Do not speak of this anymore. Do you not see that you already lost when that princess used her own body to protect her horse?"

The princess bit her lips, ashamed that she had let her anger control her.

"As my daughter and the princess of Ruichai, I have taught you what?" The chief was disappointed.

Integrity and honor. The princess could not answer because she had disregarded those 2 things the moment she tried to kick the small princess off her horse.

"Emperor, please let us give proper tribute to the young princess" The chief shook his head unhappily at his daughter before turning to the emperor. "The princess of this nation surely has widened my eyes. I have seen many but it is the first I've seen a woman so brave and lovely despite her size"

The emperor laughs softly at those words. Everyone else could only look toward the direction where Wang Feng had taken his Wang Fei off to.