A fairy's tale

Weakened, hungered, and tired, his friends were on their last shift. Ferry felt his heart breaking at their sight. His Guardians had their hands tied with something that looked like wire threads, therefore their powers weakened, so they couldn't shape-shift anymore. Matilda and Danny were shivering in the arms of Matilda's mother. Poor Baldie was covered with something that looked like a fishnet. But the fishnet was made of a thin iron wire that kept Baldie from turning into a raven and fly.

His friends stood in front of the crowd as if freaks at the circus. The crowd shivered with excitement waiting for the show to begin. They didn't have to wait too long. Fae Queen stepped closer and she gestured to her guards to stay put. At her signal, the crowd grew calm as by magic.

"Come out, come out, Moonlight Boy," she said and her words echoed in the silence. "You don't want your friends living the rest of their lives in the darkness, do you? We live long, long lives around here".

Ferry stood still, unable to take his eyes away from his friends. He almost forgot to breathe. What was to do? Could he trust Fae Queen? He knew that, for some reason, she wanted him. But would she let his friends go?

"Don't show yourself, Ferry!" he heard Baldie shouting. "We'll be all right..." he added.

But Ferry knew they wouldn't be all right. So he stepped closer to the pulsing orb. He slowly took off the blue feather and the shelter of his invisibility crumbled. When he came out of it, he could feel thousands of eyes staring at him. He removed the cloak's hood and, in the moonlight, the stars on his forehead shone brighter than ever. Everyone around took a few steps back. His friends throbbed and Oona covered her mouth with her palm to stop a cry.

"Run, Ferry! " Baldie shouted. The power of iron was overwhelming and his voice was trembling. "You still have the time. Put the blue feather back on and run!"

But Ferry didn't move. The Queen came to him as if floating, surrounded by the bright aura which was now having a faint shade of gray. She stopped in front of him, studying the signs on his forehead. She then reached his white hand to touch them.

"Stay away from him," he could hear Baldie and saw him trying to reach him. But the guards of the Palace stopped him before he could take a step forward.

Fae Queen remained just as calm.

"Well, well... Such an honor to have a guest from the far-off Kingdom of Akna among us... What do you think about Tenalach so far, Prince Garret?"

The Good People in the crowd flustered, each one trying to take a better look at their special guest.

"My name is Andrew Donovan," said Ferry and the crowd turned silent. "But everyone calls me Ferry," he continued. "My mum named me after my great grandfather, Ferdinand."

Fae Queen laughed. "Is that what your human mother taught you to say?" she asked. "You know she's not your real mother, don't you?"

Ferry knew that all too well. Still, it was hard to hear it from someone else.

"Don't listen to her, Ferry," said Baldie. "She's just trying to trouble you. Just take the blue feather and run!"

But Ferry shook his head no. "I can't do that..." he said in a low voice. "You're my friends."

Fae Queen applauded. "Oh, loyalty... Such a precious thing among humans... But would your friends do the same for you?"

She got closer to Matilda who glared at her. The Queen caressed the top of her head, continuing, "For instance, your human friend hates fairies. She thinks they are guilty of taking her mother away from her. Do you really believe you two will be like before ever again? And how about this boy here?" she said, turning to Danny. "He's not even your friend. He's always laughed at you. Calling you names... Do you think he's not going to tell about you when you'll get home? Or what about your fairy friends? Always watching without you knowing... Pretending to be animals... Could you tell you were ever alone? Or maybe unseen eyes have always been watching you from the shadows..."