Chapter 37: Not Notice

I had been so lost in my own thoughts – lost in Feng's attention that I did not notice our surroundings. I had not noticed Hou Rong was watching me. From when Wang Feng carried me into the banquet hall, he had taken noticed of me and the royal blue dress I wore. His eyes traced my eyes, cheeks, lips, neck and shoulders exposed by the lovely dress. While Zhou Qing was doing her best to get his attention, purposely fluttering before him, his eyes were focused on me. I had been sitting a distance away, but he was able to see me clearly. He took a hard swallow of the wine while he watched me eating the moon cake.

I didn't know the reason to Zhou Qing's glares was due to Hou Rong's attention on me. She was the most beautiful dancer in the North and South province. So many men had sought for her hand in marriage. But she had only wanted the best. She had wanted Hou Rong. Zhou Qing had worked to get where she is today. To dance in the royal banquet, Zhou Qing had wanted to capture the country best scholar. Instead, her target had paid attention to me which hurt her pride.

I didn't know Hou Rong thoughts were similar to Zhou Qing. His pride was also hurt. He had recently found out that I had been Zhou Wei Lan before my grandfather raised me as Fa Wei Lan. My uncle Zhou Tao had made it clear that he was supposed to be the one to raise me. The head position in the Zhou Family had supposed to be his. Instead, I chose to renounce my father's lineage and left with grandfather. Hou Rong gripped on his wine cup because he knew I would have belonged to him if I was still Zhou Wei Lan. I would have been his woman if I was Zhou Wei Lan.

I had not noticed the young prince of Ruichai sitting beside his sister. The foreign prince had taken notice of me when I first entered the open field on Yun's back. He had been captivated. The people Ruichai always appreciate individuals who share the same passion and love for horses and hunting. I had shown my strength at the archery contest. I had used my own body to protect my precious Yun. The young prince of Ruichai had been moved. At first, he had been excited to find such a hidden treasure in the neighboring country. Just as he was about to ask for the princess hand in marriage, Wang Feng roar echoed the field. In that instance, he knew the beautiful princess already belong to someone else. Worst of all, she belonged to General Wang Feng - the most feared man in every country.

I had not noticed the young noble sitting beside his sister, Chen Hua Lan. When Chen Kang saw me in the field, his eyes widened with surprise. He recalled the beauty he offended months before. He never thought to see her again. He had searched the whole capital but couldn't find who she was and where she came from. In his chest pocket, he still has the hairpin that he had taken from her that day. He had held onto it hoping to return it to her one day. When he heard the emperor announced the princess, he felt joy. He immediately planned to tell his father his desire for this princess. His father was a prime minister; thus, in the future the title will be his. He would be suitable for the princess. Chen Kang had been smiling when he watch the princess laugh. He had found the princess breathtaking - the way she held the bow and arrow was beautiful. When that foreign princess suddenly kicks at the white horse, Chen Kang wanted to run into the field. Wang Feng roar stopped him. Wang Feng single shout "Lan" had frozen Chen Kang entire body. In that instance, he realized the princess in blue was Fa Wei Lan - his sister's enemy.