Even Through Sickness

Why was Carmen calling you repeatedly?

With shaking hands, you hit the "call back" button and waited anxiously for an answer.

"ADA Barba's office, Carmen speaking, how may I help you?"

"Carmen!"

"Oh thank God, you need to come down here right now!" Carmen sounded relieved to hear your voice, not worried, not that this abated your fears.

"Why? What...Is Rafael okay?"

"Right now, it's not him I'm worried about!"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Have you seen him today?"

"No."

"It would be great if you could come and take him home."

"Carmen, do you think you could be a little bit more specific about what is going on?"

"Your boyfriend is sick and is terrorizing everyone in the office. Specific enough for you? He is yelling at the interns, he made one of them cry! The paralegals are nowhere to be seen. And if I catch whatever he has, I'm holding you personally responsible. Now could you please come and deal with this?" Carmen said all of this in a fierce whisper.

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

You walked into 1 Hogan Place equipped with pharmaceutical supplies and a canteen of Rafael's favourite soup. Carmen shot you a dirty look as you walked up to his office. After tapping on the door, you poked your head around it tentatively.  Your poor darling was sat at his desk, papers and files scattered haphazardly, with his head in his hands.

"Carmen, where the hell are those paralegals? I need those case laws. And can you get me some coffee?"

"Rafi, it's me."

Rafael looked up. He looked pale and haggard. His cheeks were flushed, his nose was pink and his eyes bloodshot. "What are you doing here?" His tone sharper than normal, tense.

"I brought lunch," you smiled and held up the canteen.

His shoulders droop slightly but at least made an effort to smile, however short lived it may have been. You went over to the couch and sat down, knowing if you asked how he was feeling, he'd probably explode. Instead, you picked up a mug and proceeded to pour out some soup. During this process, you heard a small strangled noise coming from Raf's direction. It took you a minute to understand what the noise was, but you soon realized that he was trying not to cough in front of you.

Stubborn bastard, he knew exactly why you were there and was still trying to hide it. Be careful what you say, anything related to his health will not going to elicit a good reaction.

"Is anything I can help with?"

Rafael put down his pen, along with his pretenses and let out a disheartened sigh.

Poor darling, he must feel awful.

Abandoning the soup for a moment, you went over and perched at the edge of his desk, putting you hand on his cheek. His face was burning against your cool palm and he practically melted against you.

He feels a lot worse than he is letting on.

"Maybe you can take the rest of the day off?" you asked while loosening his tie and undoing his top button.

"No!" Possibly his most emphatic response since I'd arrived. "I have too much work to do."

"Isn't there anyone who could help?"