Chapter 38: For His Attention

When the dancers finished their performance, the foreign princess immediately stood with eyes burning on Wang Feng. She announced that she will dance to celebrate the night between the 2 countries. Clearly, the princess was spoiled by her family because no one went to stop her while she took off her cape, revealing the fiery red dress and her exotic body that the dress barely contained.

Even though I was a woman, I couldn't deny her allure. Many of the men's bodies and eyes heated to the sight of her body moving and bending across the field. She was strong and flexible. Her dance was like a blazing fire – burning hot and wild against the wind. Curious to Wang Feng reaction, I glanced over at him only to see his eyes on me. His lazy position has not changed. Still holding his wine cup in one hand, Wang Feng was still playing with the long length of my hair. I blushed when he gave a playful smile and brought a strand of my hair to his lips. Flustered by his seductive act, my eyes went down to the hands on my lap. Feng chuckled softly even while he continued to wrap the strand of my hair around his fingers.

I had been so conscious of Wang Feng beside me that I couldn't pay attention to the foreign princess dance. I had stopped watching her performance halfway, while Feng hadn't once glanced at her. Seeing her angry eyes when she finished the dance, I understood her pride was hurt. Not only was her pride as a royal princess hurts, but Wang Feng lack of attention hurts her pride a woman. When she suddenly demanded that I must also dance, I felt weary. She wanted me to dance on an injured leg?

"Daughter" The chief sounded tired. "Do not cause any more trouble"

"How can you say that father" She looked down at me with her head and chin held high. "This princess had given her performance for this country. Why can't their princess do the same for ours? Is she too noble or is our country to insignificant?"

She was picking a fight because she wanted to redeem her hurt pride. As a woman, I understood her way of thinking.

"Hmph" Feng cold voice was sharp. "My Wang Fei is not some showgirl"

"You" The princess was furious with embarrassment. "Then what am I?"

"You? Only you know since no one asked you to dance for men's enjoyment"

The muffled laughter in the crowd caused the foreign princess to flushed red. Wang Feng took my hand lovingly in his, not caring if anyone was watching.

"My Wang Fei is too graceful for such things" Feng's tone was a hundred times more arrogant than the foreign princess.

I could see the steam coming out of the princess face at Feng's every word.

"You_"

"Princess of Ruichai is correct" The princess was going to scream until the empress spoke. "Since the princess did perform such a beautiful dance, we will return the honor"

Hearing this, the princess brightened. She looked at me as if she had won.

"Does any young lady here today like to give a performance to our honor guest of Ruichai?"

"What?" The princess head snapped back to the empress. "Why isn't she performing?"

"Princess Fa Wei Lan leg is injured" The empress smiles were both cold and warm. "Princess of Ruichai, I believe you should know the reason why"

The princess could sense the hidden meaning and stepped back unwillingly.

"Any young lady who performed to the liking of our guest will receive a gift from this empress" The empress smiled as she scanned the crowd.

After a long moment, one single woman stood. The empress smiled at the beautiful figure in all white. Chen Hua Lan stepped forward from behind her father and brother.

"Chen Hua Lan" The empress was pleased to see the beautiful woman had volunteered. "I know you're talents in the Zheng harp. Will you perform for us a song?"

"Chen Hua Lan will perform for your graces enjoyment" Chen Hua Lan graceful bow made everyone eyes turned to her.

Once Chen Hua Lan sat in the center of the crowd with the beautiful jade Zheng harp on her lap, everyone admired her beauty and grace. When she played, everyone watched with a smile. On top of her looks, Chen Hua Lan was truly a talented musician. Everyone couldn't help but look at her, even Wang Feng was watching with his unreadable expression.

I saw Chen Hua Lan eyes look on us - on Wang Feng. I could see her faint smiles. I knew she was happy – happy that she was able to get Wang Feng attention. Just moments ago, the foreign princess had desperately tried to gain Wang Feng's attention but fail miserably. Now, Chen Hua Lan was able to get Wang Feng to watch her. Her music clearly showed how happy she was. While everyone could hear her happiness, only I understood the reason. Chen Hua Lan was in love.