Chapter 40: Sun, Moon, Stars

"Will Feng help Wei Lan prepare the ink?"

Wang Feng gave a defeated sigh. With a soft touch on my head, he let me know he will do whatever I wanted. Soon, our table was cleared and a eunuch brought over a large scroll and a tray of ink. Everyone was quiet while they watched the great general Wang Feng sat casually beside me, using one hand to stir the ink. I watched the handsome man prepared ink for me with a smile.

"Fa Wei Lan, I have you know you're the one person Wang Feng will ever do this for" He was pouting.

I had a hand to my lips, needing to muffle the laughter.

"Stop being so adorable in front of others" Feng leaned into me and whispered. "Hurry and paint so we can go home"

Blushing softly, I picked up the brush. When I saw everyone was watching, I begin to draw a large circle in the top center of the scroll. A story begins to flow in my mind while I painted.

In the beginning, the heavens created the sun.

The sun was the light of the world - the source of life.

After a thousand years, the sun grew tired.

The Sun asked the heaven for a sister to help shine the world as she rest.

The heavens created the moon.

The moon was the shadow of the sun - a single light in the darkness.

During the day, the sun would light up the world.

During the night, the moon glowed against the darkness.

Another thousand years gone, the moon became lonely.

The moon asked the heaven for friends.

The heaven created the stars.

The moon and stars lit up the dark sky, revealing the earth below.

A thousand more years passed, the moon and stars continues to sparkle into the night.

Never touching - never meeting - never alone,

For they could see themselves in the mirror lake

In the beginning, the heavens created the sun and the moon.

The sun would appear in the morning.

The moon would appear at night.

The blue sky and white clouds was the sun's companion.

The stars were the moon's friends.

For many thousand years, the sun, the moon, and the stars shine

Beautifully in the heavens as one family.

I had started the painting with the bright morning sky and the sun shining brightly. Halfway through, the painting was transformed in darkness with the glittering light of the moon and stars reflecting in a lake below. In the dark sky was a flying dragon. On the surface of the lake were orchid flowers blooming.

"The sun, the moon, and the stars - the most beautiful is still the orchid flower blooming on the lake."

Just before I placed the brush down, Feng took it from my hand and wrote those spoken words. Pleased with his writing, he set the brush aside before turning to me. Again, Wang Feng did not care that the whole world was watching when he took hold of my hand.

"Amazing..."

The chief voice brought my attention back to the crowd. The painted was already with the chief of Ruichai. I could see the awe on his face - on the princess face and on the prince's face. I had been nervous if they would accept the painting as a gift. I glanced at Feng to see his usual indifference expression. The man truly does not know the meaning of fear.

"Can we take it that the chief accepts Princess Wei Lan's painting?" The emperor chuckled.

"This painting..." The chief looked at the emperor before looking at me with amazement. "The princess has opened my eyes once more. A painting is the painter's heart. It's clear that Princess Fa Wei Lan is indeed, like the orchid flower in the lake, the most beautiful of them all"

I felt startled by the chief compliment.

"Princess Fa Wei Lan" The chief's smile made me feels uncomfortable. "It is quite ashamed that you are spoken for"

The man had been old enough to be my father. But he looked at me not as a father would – but as a man. When I noticed several others with the same look in their eyes, a cold chill shot down my spine. It was not a good feeling. Before I could completely understand the situation, Wang Feng suddenly stood with me in his arms.

"What's the matter Wang Feng?" The emperor voice held a hidden laughter.

"My Wang Fei already gave her gift" Feng only looked at the emperor and no one else. "It's late and she needs her rest."

"Why do you need to go with her?" The princess mumbled. "If she's tired, she can leave by herself"

Not only was the foreign princess disappointed, many other young ladies were too. It had been rare for them to see Wang Feng. Even if his attention had been on his Wang Fei, they were happy to see him from a distant. Among all the young ladies, Chen Hua Lan had been the most disappointed. Hidden under her long white sleeves, her white hands were gripped tightly together. Her eyes were staring at Wang Feng while her heart was screaming for him to look at her just once before he leaves. But Wang Feng eyes were only on Fa Wei Lan. He was holding his Wang Fei so effortlessly, showing strength of a man - the strength that Chen Hua Lan had wanted for herself.

"Because of an insolent woman, my Wang Fei is hurt. Be thankful that this Wang Feng did not take retribution for her injuries. If this repeats, Ruichai or not, this general will break 2 legs for compensation"

Wang Feng's eyes held a deadly glint that the foreign princess shivered. She knew if she spoke further, he would kill her without hesitation. Her face was drained white since it was clear that Wang Feng did not hold a single good feeling toward her. His warned her and her people so fearlessly. Everyone in Ruichai both admired and resented the general. They knew his reputation and strength. They had wanted Wang Feng and had hoped that their princess was able to capture the young general heart. In the end, their princess only offended the General and his Wang Fei.