A Bad Day [S1:E11]

| October 27 | Friday Night |

I stood alone at the end of the bar, watching Quinton and Sara work their magic. They were doing great. And although the bar wasn't packed, I knew they wouldn't need me much at this point. No. My job now was to make sure the customers were having a good time, which was something I was getting much better at.

Or maybe my bullshitting skills were improving.

I paced next to Sara. "Doin' okay?"

"Sure," she stated as she poured a beer.

Quinton was currently schmoozing money out of a group of guys.

"Actually, could you restock?" Sara asked. "I would but..." She looked at her needy customers. "I'm a little tied up."

"Yeah sure," I agreed.

Honestly, I was just really bored.

I checked the fridge and took note of what they needed before making it to the storage. I couldn't help but allow my mind to linger to Charlie and Megan who were probably at home together. The thought brought a smile to my lips.

Until I got a text from Megan herself.

It read: "In need of alcohol. Heading to Jinx."

I frowned and tried to remember if Megan had said if there was anything important today that could possibly put her in a bad mood. Not that I figured she needed an excuse to drink, but it wasn't something she did. Like ever.

I responded: "Bad day?"

But she didn't answer before I had to get back with the supplies from storage. Guess talking would have to wait till she got here.

I rejoined Sara and Quinton in the front, restocked and waited for my girlfriend to show. I was eager to see her. I hadn't seen her since this morning, but I was nervous to learn what had put her in a bad mood.

Then before I knew it I saw her walk through the door.

I smiled, but the look on her face was discouraging. I couldn't remember the last time Megan had looked so disappointed.

She took a seat at the bar.

"Gin and tonic." Her sad blue eyes found mine. "Please, babe?"

I raised a brow. "Sure?"

I began to pour, but when I stopped Megan protested.

"No, keep going," she encouraged.

I allowed a little more alcohol to fall into the cup, which earned Megan's approval. It honestly looked at if she was having an existential crisis, which I learned wasn't uncommon for college students.

I slid the drink over to her as I leaned forward.

"Do you wanna talk?" I coaxed.

Megan took a strong sip before flashing a cynical smile.

"There's nothing to talk about," she said. "Just that my whole plan to earn my doctorate is a waste of time and money, according to everyone but me."

"Why would they think that?"

"Because it's true," She traced the rim of her glass with a manicured finger. "I had a conversation with a few colleagues and then asked my advisor what my chances were after graduation of scoring a job..."

She took another sip.

"I've been busting my ass, driving myself crazy..." She laughed. "For nothing! For absolutely nothing."