Chapter 5

An hour later Grace was in the school, attending Mr. Saltzman's consultation hour. She knocked at his door and opened when he called her to come in.

"Oh, hello, Grace. Nice to see you here."

Alaric lifted his gaze off his papers, smiled and motioned for Grace to sit down on one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"I just wanted to ask if there was anything I should know about my sibling's concerning school. To be honest I don't know who else I should ask, because all the other teachers don't take me serious, because they don't see me as an adult...and you know them better than anyone else, so..."

Grace shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She didn't know Alaric all to well like Jeremy and Elena did and she already mused that something wasn't right.

"It's alright, it's good that you came. Elena's grades are fine and she's a lovely student, people say she always was."

The oldest Gilbert nodded smiling. A few years ago she hated that about her sister. She envied her popularity and that she got along with everyone, always being their parents' favorite. But know she was relieved that Elena didn't have any issues going on.

"But Jeremy on the other hand..."

Grace tensed when Alaric continued to speak. The instant she had looked at Jeremy she had known that he wasn't doing as good as Elena did. She really hoped it wasn't something too bad.

"What is it, Mr. Saltzman."

Alaric sighed and looked down to his papers.

"Please call me Rick...um, Jeremy's grades are dropping. He's on the brink to dropping out. What is more that he was a...drug problem."

Her hands started to shiver, Grace was steaming. She kind of scared Alaric with her gaze that could kill an army.

"You know I tried to be there for him and I thought it got better. Maybe I should meet more often with him after school."

Grace shook her head to clear her mind so she could speak again. She was beyond mad.

"No, I mean, yes, you can do that, but I'll start my own measures."

Again Alaric sighed and scratched the back of his head. They were both really uncomfortable with each other, maybe it was because of Jenna, but Rick didn't really know how to handle the oldest Gilbert sister. She had those scary vibes that she covert really well, but know that she was angry...she wasn't a girl to be messed with.

"Don't be too hard on him. He went through a lot."

Shaking her head, Grace stood up, faking a smile.

"You don't understand. We're all still grieving, even after two years, but the thing is, over time the people tend to forget what happened. Right now they're still handling us with kids gloves, but at some point they'll stop. You know, when I went to university after their death, no one cared about sad little Grace Gilbert's fate. This was the best thing that could've happen to me, like that I couldn't rest not the excuse of my parents' death. We can't let being orphans define our future. I'll have to teach Jeremy that."

Alaric nodded, seeing Grace from a new perspective now. He admired her strength. Now he was convinced that this young woman didn't need help with anything.

After waving Alaric goodbye, Grace got out of the school and instantly went to the Grill. She knew she would find her siblings here. Without saying anything she stepped to Jeremy and grabbed his arm, pulling him with her.

"Grace! What are you doing?!"

Grace saw the confused glances Matt and Bonnie shot them. She clenched her fists and walked to the bar's counter.