Darkness and the Love that Ends it All

Draco wasn't sure what to do. The bond felt wrong and distorted. That wasn't Harry in there. That was the darkness. He wasn't sure if the darkness had lied to them and they were now here under false pretenses, or if something else was going on. This was not how he had envisioned things going. He wanted nothing more than to dive into the bond and to make Harry feel better but he knew that would be a bad idea. He dimmed the bond the best he could without full on shutting it down. It was probably smart to close the bond behind occlumency shields but he just couldn't do that. He needed to still have the connection with his lover. He needed to be able to tell when things go wrong.

            Draco closed his eyes and whimpered at the pure danger that he could feel in the bond. Not just the bond. He could feel danger in the room too. The unease that he had felt within seconds of entering the room, had more than tripled after Harry touched the stones. Now, he could practically smell it. He wasn't entirely sure if danger could ever be tangible enough to be smelt but if so, then he was definitely smelling it. The sheer depth to it was astounding. He wondered if this is what Finneus had been feeling all along. He had never been able to detect magic like that before. Part of him had been envious of Finneus for being able to do that. But now, he wasn't so sure. Being able to detect this much power and darkness was not a good thing. He hadn't even known that something so dark could exist. Through the bond, the normal darkness wasn't like this. That had been just something in the background. Now though, it was awful. It was like Harry and the darkness had switched roles. His lover was now in the background, while an amplified version of the darkness was on the loose inside of Harry's body.

            He had no idea how he was going to get Harry to come back. The last time he had almost died. That was when the darkness was just normal. Draco knew with every gut instinct that he possessed, that he was not going to make it out of this alive. He was going to die. Strangely, he was okay with that. He stretched out his hand and knocked one of the stones away so that he could entwine his fingers Harry's. No matter how this turned out, he would be with his lover through every step of the way.

            Finneus gasped and then choked on all of the power that was being released into the air. He could feel it, taste it, smell it and if he closed his eyes, he could almost see it with his abilities. There was an almost tangible visual that was in the room. If he had thought that the darkness had been a temptation to him before, well now, it was almost criminal how badly he wanted it. This was so dark and delicious that he wanted to go over there and demand it for himself. He wanted to go over there and take what was rightly his. Because surely, all of that goodness had to be his. He almost did too, but there was a tiny little rational part of his brain that said, 'no, this isn't a good idea.' He had to force all of his thriving lust for the darkness to the side. He had to use every ounce of control that he possessed to not storm over there and just demand the power for his own.

            Once Finneus had been able to control himself, he was able to assess the situation. Boy, were they fucked. What on earth would have possessed Potter touch the stones? Hadn't he learned from his mistakes? Hadn't he learned that one darkness was bad enough? Did he really need three inside of him? Surely, the one from the real stone was even worse. The real stone was a successful ritual. That had to have some effect on the level of depth that the darkness surrounding it would have. He tried to wrap his mind around everything that had just happened. Questioning why Potter had done it would not change anything. In the end, it didn't matter the reasons why, what mattered was finding a way out of this.

            Finneus thought back to when he had been chained to the wall and Potter had gotten angry about Luna. Malfoy had been the only one who had been able to get Potter to come back to himself. Potter had fought against the darkness and was able to take full control of his body. But things have changed since then. The darkness had taken control of Potter's body during the Lactera incident. Potter hadn't even been consciously aware or angry at the time. The darkness didn't need Potter's permission of approval to take control. So if the darkness could take over whenever it wanted, then that meant it wouldn't be pushed back unless it wanted to. Something was telling him that the darkness was not about to take a back seat right now. No, the darkness had pushed Potter back this time. The question was, what did the darkness want?