Chapter 18

The port we landed on was notorious for its juicy shrimp, on any weekend and even weekdays the dock would be packed with a good amount of customers and workers. Yet it looked empty. No one even met us on the dock, wondering who's boat this was, or even who the people climbing out of it were.

     "No welcome party?" Alagan said behind me, "Maybe you two aren't as important as you thought you guys were."

     He said it lightly enough that it could pass as a joke, but still he made a point - there should have been people looking for us day and night. Every beach should have scouts, searching for any signs of us. Two royals, gone in a blink of an eye. But there wasn't. Instead it felt like everyone was hiding from the waters.

     And then I remembered it the same time Nazim spoke, "The tsunami's."

     I turned my head to Alagan, "How can we forget about those," I said very accusingly.

     He didn't look compelled with guilt, but he did look at me thoughtfully, as if to say; I didn't know.

     I believe he didn't know what the repercussions of his actions were - how could he - but still, people were hurt and now traumatized. "Lets find some horses."

     All three of us were hiding our faces as we realized we had no money to even trade for horses let alone anything else. So instead I borrowed three horses that were tied outside of a bar, there owners inside would get them back, along with some money as a thank you as soon as I got to the summer castle and took a long and desperately needed bath in my rose scented soaps - But first I had to get there.

     The good thing about landing at the dock that we did, is that it would be an hour's ride until we were at the castle. Nazim was to my left, and I saw the excitement in his eyes. This crazy and death defying trip that I so desperately sought out for was over. And to my right was Alagan, in his eyes there were to many different emotions he was trying to hard to not show on his face. But his eyes looked around frantically at the summer land. Either trying to memorize the path back to his boat, or as if people were going to come out and attack him. To finally seize him for his false crimes.

    And me, I was excited to get back home, but I know that my relief will be short lived. Elis will most likely chew my head off for doing something so reckless and dangerous. But he'll be happy Nazim and I are safe. And my father... I'm hoping he shows the same kind of care.

     We continued to ride as the sand turned into grass, and the grass turned into the jungle. Animals moved out of our way yards before we came into view, the sound of the horses desperate hooves scaring them to hide. And within the hour, we were in clear view of my second home. It reminded me of when I found Nuri, coming out of the jungle to find the back of the castle empty. And to be honest I wish he would just step out from the heavy jungle leaves and into my view, as if he was waiting for me to come home this entire time. But I knew he'd be right where I left him in winter, by the kids sides.

     Except the three of us stayed clear of any of the main entrance and I made the decision to enter through the back of the kitchen instead. For two reasons: First one, so Nazim can get some food that wasn't fruit - which he dabbled in some freshly made chicken as we walked - and secondly, I wanted to see if my dear friend was here. But as I looked around, I could't see her silhouette amongst the workers. 

     And the kitchen workers looks at us back, yet were to timid to chase Nazim and I out of the kitchen with our ragged torn clothes, dirty faces, and disheveled hair. Not when Alagan was the only one who still looked like a royal in his clean clothes and stance. But one worker was brave, Lave's mother.