Chapter 8

How could he make such a shortsighted move? Leaving Rita alone in her apartment while she was adapting was careless. Joseph scolded himself as he vigorously searched the wet streets for the newly-turned dead walker. Rita was the very definition of a predator in her state. A true dead walker. One unable to control her natural desire for human flesh and blood.

If Joseph didn't find her soon, his plan would be ruined.

He took full advantage of his abilities, running through the streets of Sancova at incredible speed and sniffing out what was left of Rita's scent. Instead, he was overwhelmed by the scent of human flesh, which led him straight to her under a bridge overpass, surrounded by several dead bodies.

"Bloody hell!" Joseph bellowed, marching toward Rita. "I told you not to leave your apartment!"

Rita quickly averted her attention from the bloody body she was feeding on, wearing her "demon face".  Eyes, a milky white and veiny face, pale as ever. Covered in blood and dirt, she stood, wiping blood from her mouth.

She began laughing. Or was it sobbing? Maybe both. Joseph couldn't tell.

"I-I can't stop!" she cried. "I-I can't stop killing people!"

"You're in a very critical stage of your adaptation," Joseph said, approaching Rita cautiously. "You are what we call a fiend. A newbie dead walker. Your bloodlust is off the charts. We have to get back to your apartment. I can teach you self-control."

Rita backed away from Joseph, tripping over the dead woman behind her.

"You did this to me!" she yelled, standing and pointing a firm finger at him. "I never wanted any of this!"

"Let's not get vexed over things that cannot be undone, love."

"Screw you!" Rita growled.

Joseph smiled.

"Both of us have something in common," he said. "We both lost someone because of Lainey. Don't you want revenge?"

"What I want is for you to get the hell away from me!" Rita seethed, voice shaky.

"You don't mean that, love," Joseph said, putting his arms around her.

"No, no, NO! Don't touch me!" she yelled, breaking free of his grip. "You won't ever touch me again!" Rita maliciously glared at Joseph before adding "There's nothing suggesting that you aren't Nicole's murderer."

Joseph quickly grabbed Rita by her neck and slammed her into the solid brick wall under the bridge overpass.

"You listen to me," he said, gripping Rita's neck so hard her attempts at screaming failed. "I made you for one reason. And tomorrow, you will carry out that reason." He leaned closer to Rita and whispered "I could admit to killing Nicole and not a damn thing will change."

The hurt in Rita's eyes was almost too much for Joseph to endure. Almost. Joseph slowly released her.

"Let's clean this mess up and get out of here."

***

"Your curry smells really good, Mrs. Wright." Lainey had decided to eat dinner at Fawn's place.

"Well thank you, Lainey," Mrs. Wright graciously said as she danced around the kitchen table, laying down trays of biscuits and potatoes. "We should have you over for diner more often."