Chapter 44: A Wife's Duty

I could not believe that Chen Hua Lan and Chen Kang came to visit the Wang Estate the very next day.

The family had just finished the morning meal and I was preparing the tea when a servant came in to announce the Chen's visit. Li Xia immediately looked at me with surprised, while I shook my head. We both kept silent when the Chen siblings entered the main hall. Refilling Wang Feng's cup of tea, I noticed his expression was unchanged when the Chen sister and brother greeted everyone.

It felt awkward – at least for me. I didn't say much because it was obvious that Chen Hua Lan didn't want speak or acknowledge me. With every one, she greeted and made conversation. With me, she barely made eye contact with. Instead, her attention had been mainly on Wang Feng. Her smiles were lovelier when she spoke to him. Feng – on the other hand, barely responded most of the time. I saw how happy she was whenever he looks at her. Even though Feng's eyes held no interest when he looked at her, Chen Hua Lan eyes still sparkled with joy.

"Father, it's time for us to go" Feng said casually when it looked like Chen Hua Lan wanted to hold the conversation longer.

"I need to go to visit the empress as well." Elder Wang stood up. "Daughter, I will leave the house to you"

"Yes mother..."

Master Wang gently patted his wife's cheek before heading out.

"I'll be late tonight" Feng stood and placed a hand on my cheek. "Don't stay up waiting"

I smiled and shook my head. I would always wait for his return.

"So stubborn" He smiled and bent to place a kiss on my forehead. "Play nice..."

He whispered those words in my ears before he left with his father and grandmother. Blushing softly, I watched as Feng disappeared. The man always kisses my forehead before he goes – every time without fail, regardless of whoever was watching.

"Wang Feng treats Miss Fa well..."

Those words brought me back to the present. Sitting there, I was faced with Chen Hua Lan and her brother. At least I wasn't alone. Mother and Li Xia were still there with me.

"Of course, Feng-ge adores Wei Lan jie-jie"

I had really hoped Li Xia didn't boast like that. Noticing mother nudging at Li Xia arm, I knew she felt the same. It's never good to boast in front of others.

"Yes... it makes other envious..." Chen Hua Lan voice clearly held yearning.

Again, there was that awkward silence.

"Miss Fa, it's been a while since you married Wang Feng" Chen Hua Lan voice was gentle, her demeanor graceful – but her words felt off. "But you haven't shown sign of pregnancy... is that ok with the elder?"

I was startled – her words almost seem attacking. I didn't know what to say. Even Chen Kang looked uncomfortable while he sat beside his sister.

"Wei Lan and Feng-er is still so young. The Elder does not expect to have great grandchildren so soon"

Mother smiled and spoke as if nothing was wrong. Li Xia, on the other hand, had a usually calm expression on her face as she sipped on her tea.

"But doesn't Wang Feng want children?" Chen Hua Lan was relentless despite her soft voice and expression.

"I know Feng-ge. Feng-ge wouldn't want children so soon. Feng-ge prefer to have this time more with Wei Lan jie-jie"

"Miss Wang says this, but it may not be what your brother really wants..." She looked at me with pity in her eyes. "Miss Fa must agree with Hua Lan, it's a woman sole duty to provide children to her husband"

I was stunned. Li Xia was stunned. Even mother was a bit taken back.

"Miss Fa, do you agree?" She was testing me – wanting to see me react to her.

After a moment, I shook my head softly.

"Children are important... But it's not a wife sole duty"

I faced Chen Hua Lan – really looking at her.

"To make sure he's comfortable in his home... to make sure he's healthy... to be fidelity to his family... to make him smile... to make him laugh... to be there when he's sad... to comfort him when he's angry. This is what Wei Lan believes she should do as Feng's Wang Fei."

Chen Hua Lan suddenly stood up. Her face held no emotion when she smiled and bowed to Mistress Wang and Li Xia. When she left without word, Chen Kang followed.

"Jie-jie" Li Xia smiled at me. "Li Xia admires jie-jie greatly"

I smiled even though I felt unsettled. I know Chen Hua Lan has not given up. She would never give up. She wanted Wang Feng. She loved Wang Feng. She would fight to be with Wang Feng. Her expression had told me that much.