49; visit

YOU KNOW NOTHING

❝ YOU KNOW NOTHING ❞

The usual man that guarded the gates of Hilltop allowed entrance for Vada's familiar face. She parked the car along the outside of the fence, exited the vehicle with her brother by her side, and walked into the community.

"Haven't seen you in a while," the burly man said, adjusting his rifle strap. "Used to come by a lot."

It was true. Jesus had quite a vast library, biggest she'd seen seconding with Negan. He was happy to share his books with her, and she was happy to borrow them, although the last one he never got back.

"I haven't been in Alexandria," she said simply, deciding to leave it at that.

"Negan took her," Carl butted in, with a hardness to his tone.

Vada gave her brother a glare, opening her lips to speak before a familiar figure appeared in the corner of her eye. "Vada!"

"Jesus." She wrapped him in her arms, over top his thick, long hair, and nuzzled her face into his neck. He squeezed her tight and pulled back, adjusting his cap.

"It's been forever, come on." He placed a hand on her back and nodded his head toward the guard. "Close the gate. How are you, Carl?"

"Good," he mumbled, head twisting and turning. Jesus pointed to a row of housing. "Enid, Maggie, they should be in there. Sasha too, maybe."

Carl, without another word, left in that direction.

"Daryl told me," Jesus spoke, seeming timid. "He took you?"

"Yeah."

His sympathetic eyes made her nauseous. Disgusted with herself.

"Your friend is here. Came a few days ago, said you sent him. He told me Negan kicked him out because he didn't agree with his way of running things. He knew your name and gave me your note, so I gave him a chance." He nodded his head toward a flourishing garden along the side of the building, a boy hunched over it, patting down the soil. "He's been doing good."

Vada's heart sped up. She wrapped her arms around Jesus one last time, tighter than before. "Thank you for giving him a chance."

"Of course."

She wasted no time making her way over to her friend, dropping to her knees beside him. His head shot up and eyes widened. He scrambled to wrap his arms around her. "He said yes."

She breathed a laugh. "He said yes."

It seemed like a few minutes before he pulled away, his body relaxing and eyes softening. His hand swept through his sweaty hair. "I don't know if that's good or bad."

Vada eased back a bit. "What do you mean?"

"I just," he said, gripping his jaw with a long pause, "that just means this is a lot more serious than I thought it was."