Chapter 15 - Arabian Nights

Since I met his father and brother, Devin seems a lot more comfortable talking about them. I know his father has been in his life for a short period and Mason so to see for even shorter. The atmosphere was friendly, even when I made a fool of myself at the sight of a Biggies burger. 

Stephen is a kind man and knows a lot about his frozen meals business. He made me giggle when he told us about a reception he offered at his factory for some VIPs, where he served reheated frozen meals in china plates. People asked him to meet the chef to thank him for the wonderful meal, and he presented the employees who work in food preparation. The VIPs were left speechless, and he celebrated the success with his employees with champagne.

I should try that once at a party and see if I can get away with it. I should give Stephen a call soon to find out more.

Mason was... cheeky. On a moment when Devin went to change clothes and Stephen had to answer a call, he approached me.

"Tania, can I ask you a question?" he said.

"Sure,"

"Do you consider me hot?"

I had to stiffle a laugh with a cough that eventually became a real one when I choked. He patted my back as I recovered and looked at me seriously, expecting an answer.

"Ehm, I guess you are not hard to look at," I replied in the most polite way I could muster.

"And if you had to pick between me and Devin, who would you pick?"

A name almost escaped my lips, but I managed to contain it.

"You guys have the same looks. It won't be a matter of physical attraction, but more of a click,"

"I think we click enough," he closed the space between us.

"What do you think you are doing Mason?" Stephen said as he returned to the kitchen.

Mason rolled his baby blue eyes and moved away.

"Excuses for my younger son's behavior. Puberty arrived late for him,"

"Rather that than like Devin," Mason shrugged.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

At that moment, Devin came from the bedroom ready to head to the tea party. Stephen glared at his youngest son who didn't elaborate further. Maybe there's still a bit of sibling rivalry there. My brothers still make an argument out of everything, including what they think are ugly stares.

Devin and I are on our way to a birthday for which we were hired only to decorate. The 13-year-old birthday girl picked an Arabian Nights theme and the mother asked me to splurge on the decorations. We scouted bazaars for lamps, luxurious fabrics, and have been busy adding sequins to everything in sight.

Devin has been glued to his phone for a while and whispering asshole from time to time. After an exhasperated breath he places the device in his pocket.

"Sorry about that. Mason can be an idiot at times," he says.

"I think the correct word is asshole," I give him a side glance and see him smile.

"Didn't mean to say that out loud,"

"I've heard worse from my brothers. No, I have actually said worse things to them," I laugh.

"I didn't grow up with him and sometimes I think it was for the best," he joins me laughing. "He's annoying and persistent,"

"What did he want?"

"He asked me to ask you if you want to go out with him,"

The snort combined with laughter that escapes me is the most unflattering sound.