28 | Hysteria

"Hello, Ivy University! I'm Jason, and we are Virtual Vandals! How's everyone doing tonight?"

The lead singer is standing center stage, his closely cropped black hair glinting dully under the spotlights. His long-sleeved t-shirt has the name of his band emblazoned in jagged, neon yellow letters. A worn electric guitar is strung so comfortably over his shoulder that the instrument looks like a natural extension of his body.

All around me, the crowd erupts with energized cheers in response to his question. Jason grins approvingly, pumping his left arm up in the air in encouragement. As the shouts grow louder, a startling burst of adrenaline shoots through my veins.

Jason goes on to introduce his bandmates, but their names fail to register in my mind in the flurry of excitement. He then thanks Ivy University for hosting the concert and the audience for helping raise money for the big children's hospital in Spring Street. Finally, pressing the microphone closer to his mouth, he tips his head to the sky and thanks the 'weather gods' for a snowless day so far.

"We hope it stays that way for the rest of this amazing evening!" Jason holds up a hand and crosses his fingers as the audience hoots in agreement.

The stage is sheltered but the throng of students in the audience and the staff monitoring the event are exposed to the elements. Thankfully, there is no threat of snow, neither in the silver-gray sky nor in my weather app.

The band members start prepping for their performance, fidgeting with wires and whispering instructions to one another in hushed, serious tones. Jason steps right in front of the mic and lowers his head to his guitar. It's almost like the audience is holding its breath collectively, waiting for the huge speakers near the stage to boom with sound. And when the silence is broken by the first twang of guitar strings, frantic energy ripples through the crowd, sending everybody cheering again.

Virtual Vandals' music is an eclectic mix of electronic beats, drums, and guitars. Jason's clear, deep voice stands out perfectly as he sings about fading youth, his gaze alternating between the crowd and his guitar.

It's impossible to stand still, and I find myself nodding along to the music and bouncing on my feet like everyone else. I turn to my side to grin at Vera, and she looks up at me to do the same.

"This is amazing!" she declares loudly, standing on tiptoes to catch a glimpse of the band.

"I'm so glad Astrid and Karah gave us the tickets!" I shout back, cupping my gloved hands around my mouth so she can hear me.

"Yeah! Where are they?" Vera says as she spins in a circle to search for the two girls. But the crowd shifts constantly and the strobe lights don't rest on a spot for longer than two seconds, making it nearly impossible to find anyone.

I turn to look when Vera suddenly shouts out and starts waving her arm frantically at someone to her left. I squint in that direction, scanning the dancing strangers for our friends.

"It's Chick! I can see him!" Vera says, lowering her arm after she fails to grab his attention. She turns to me and says quickly, "Stay here, I'll be right back."

As she turns and pushes her way through the crowd, I already know that she won't keep that promise. My mouth curls down in a frown, but the disappointment is barely palpable like it too has been drowned out by the music.

My heart is pounding in my ears, boom boom boom. And as the band transitions seamlessly into their next song, I stop resisting the force of the crowd as it propels me away from my spot. I look at the people around me, loose limbs, unreserved excitement, and infectious smiles. The sheer energy in the air is turning it warm, almost too hot for my winter jacket. I reach down to unbutton it when someone collides into me from behind.