Chapter 15

I followed Hamilton into his office; he was already sprawled out at his desk, his fingers flying over the keyboard.

“Why won’t we be able to leave until tomorrow?” I asked while placing Gregor on the floor. He held a hand up as if to shush me. I grunted in disapproval but let him continue with his maniacal typing. I glanced around the room as I waited for him to finish. The night sky cast shadows onto the floor of his office giving the room an intimidating look. The shadows struck his cheekbones, accentuating them. His eyes resembled hot charcoal in this light. I ambled towards the large window; the stars could be seen clearly we were so high up. I sighed gently and rested against the window frame, I always loved gazing at stars. I could see dark grey clouds slowly advancing on the stars and covering up their beauty.

Suddenly Hamilton slammed on the enter button on the computer. I jumped in fright and squealed a little. My eyes flashed to his face, he was not amused.

“We...will not be leaving until tomorrow...because it happens to be the weekend and nobody comes in then” He paused after each word for dramatic effect. “And do you know why we are stuck here?” He asked anger clouding his voice. I ignored his comment and it was then that I noticed the phone resting on his desk. I grabbed it and dialled Elise’s number. “You’re such an idiot” I said while rolling my eyes and waiting for the dial tone. I can’t believe that he didn’t think of calling off the landline. He raised his eyebrows and folded his arms. He was fuming at the fact that I called him an idiot, I grinned to myself. There was something else there in his facial expression. It seemed like he knew something that I didn’t.

The dial tone never came and I slowly hung up the phone, my cheeks warmed with embarrassment. Now I knew why he was acting so smug. I decided to avoid the shame of being wrong and I just ignored the situation but of course he wouldn’t allow it. Always trying to be the winner isn’t he?

He grabbed my arm just above my elbow, his strong capable hands holding it tight within his palm. “Do you know why we can’t call using the Landline?” I shook my head; I couldn’t reply with his face this close to mine. “Because little lass, someone thought it would be a good idea to save money by turning off the power supply and the phone lines on the weekend” He said his voice rising towards the end. With each word his face inched closer and closer to mine until our breaths were mingling together. My heart was pounding; my breath was coming out in short pants. His stormy blue eyes were trained on mine and his jaw was clenched. I swear I had some sort of weird fetish for strong jaws and muscular backs, Hamilton had both. His eyes glanced down to my parted lips and they softened for a moment but then he frowned and let go of my arm.

I reached up and ran a hand through my hair, my heart was thumping loudly, and I could almost hear it. He sauntered towards the other side of the office with his hands in his pockets. His muscular physique strained against the confines of his suit. I finally worked up the courage to reply “And how is that my fault sir?” I asked sarcastically. He groaned loudly and then he too ran his hair through his curly locks. I swear I was picking up some of his habits from being around him all this time. “That may not be your fault, but the reason that we are here in the first place is. If you hadn’t bloody typed in the wrong code we wouldn’t have this problem” he accused, with his back still turned to me. Gregor approached him and rubbed against his leg. Traitor! “Well sir if we are going to play the blame game then don’t leave out yourself. For you are the very reason I am here at all. The report...remember?” He turned on his heel and stalked towards me.

“Watch yerself wee lass. I don not have the patience to deal with insolent members of staff. You forgot the files for the task I gave, that is most certainly not my fault. It’s definitely not my problem that you are suffering from memory loss. Talk to me like that again and this just might be your last day in this building. I’d savour it if I were you” He threatened, his eyes glistening with hatred and anger. Gregor left the office and wandered down the hall.