Chapter 49: To Live

It was already night time. There was only a small camp fire in the center of the tent. I was in bed, anxiously waiting for Xinyi returned. She had left early that morning and she still haven't return. Several people have been coming in and out to check on me. Even the doctor had come to give me medicine to ease the pain. But my heart wasn't ease at all.

"Lan!"

Finally, the flap of the tent opened and Wang Feng rushed through – my Wang Feng.

"Feng!" I've forgotten about my injuries and tried to get off the bed.

"Lan" He caught me before I fell. "Lan"

He held me to his heart, tight within his arms. I ignored the pain on my body as I gripped onto his robe. Hearing his heart beating furiously, I held onto him tighter. We held each other as if we're afraid it was just a dream. When I finally lifted my head to look up at him, I realized that we were alone. Xinyi and everyone else had left us alone.

"W_ what happen to your face?" I saw the bruised on his right cheek. "F_ Feng, who hit you?"

When I reached for his face, Feng immediatelysat down beside me, letting me touch him while he held onto my waist.

"Who hit you?" I asked again, seeing that it been a very hard punch. "H_ how could anyone hit you?"

"Your brother" He answered softly.

"Min-ge?" I was shocked – my cousin was a kind man.

"I did not protect you well..." His face showed guilt. "He was right to hit me"

"How can this be your fault? How can this be anyone's fault? It could have happen to anyone_"

"It shouldn't have happen to you"

I couldn't stop the cry of pain when he unconsciously gripped on my waist. Admittedly, he realized that my entire body was injured. His eyes flashed with anger.

"You're this Wang Feng's wife, no one should have dared touch you, touch what belongs to me" Feng voice was hard – his anger controlled. "And yet, while I was in court, someone dared. Dared to lay hands on you – my Wang Fei... I will find whoever it is and whoever's involved. No one will live after this"

I couldn't say anything as he carefully touched my cheek.

"Even your cheeks... my sweet Lan's cheeks are scraped. I'll make them pay for this"

"F_ Feng... Wei Lan doesn't know who_"

"Don't worry, I will know soon enough"

He brought me back to his to his chest, holding me once more to his heart. I laid my cheek against his chest with closed eyes. Finally, I am able to breath.

"Tell me what happen..."

"Wei Lan and Li Xia went to a tea shop..." I savored the feeling of his long fingers stroking my head and hair. "We were having tea with the owner... The next Wei Lan knows, she woke up with Li Xia in a shed. It was already too late for Wei Lan to realize that something was wrong with the tea..."

Feng held me quietly as I told him what happened.

"We managed to escape but there were too many of them... Wei Lan was only able to get Li Xia away..."

His fingers tighten into my hair so gently and tenderly.

"Is Li Xia okay? Was she able to get back safely?"

"Li Xia is fine" Feng's voice was deep with emotion. "Wei Lan, why is it that you're always hurt?"

"Wei Lan is ok... Wei Lan is ok now... Xinyi saved me"

"Where were you found?"

"By the river...Wei Lan couldn't escape from those men... I couldn't get capture so I jumped"

"Why!" He shouted fiercely even as he held my head tenderly to chest.

"Wei Lan couldn't let herself get caught... Wei Lan doesn't know who they were and what they had planned..." I shook in his arms. "Wei Lan couldn't take that risk..."

"If you were to die, how did you think I would live?"

Tears fall as I held onto him.

"Fa Wei Lan... Why couldn't you think of me when you decide to end your life?"

"Feng... all Wei Lan thought was you"

"Lies... if you thought of this Wang Feng, you would have chosen to live"

"To live without Feng is not living. To be a burden to Feng is not living. To be liability to Feng's duty is not living_"

"Enough" He said angrily. "You foolish woman"

"Yes... Wei Lan knows she's foolish... From the beginning, Wang Feng already knew this about Wei Lan. Feng, will you still want this foolish Wei Lan"

"Lan" He laid me down, pressed our body together, and held his lips close to mine. "No matter how foolish you are, Wang Feng will always want you"

As our lips touched, my hand went to his bruised cheek and touched it lovingly as we kissed.