chapter 51 | what is this, really?

Present Day

Present Day

I've had Lauryn Hill's "I Gotta Find Peace of Mind" on repeat all day. Just like Mama, all those years ago, I've been thinking heavily about my life and the direction it's going in.

The doorbell rings. I open the door and walk away, letting Phoenix in. He sits on the couch. I sit on the recliner, putting distance between us. I want to see his face and look straight into his eyes when I talk to him.

"You're late," I tell him coldly. I've been sitting, stewing in the truth of his lies all day. My patience is worn thin and my self-restraint is non-existent.

"I had to make a few stops before coming by." He frowns.

"I'm sure you did."

"What's going on here? I thought we were good?"

"We were. Until you lied," I blurt out, without a second thought.

"What did I do now?" he asks exasperated, throwing his hands up.

"It's more like, what didn't you do." I throw the divorce decree printout at him. "Forgery is a crime you know."

He looks at the printout and laughs uncomfortably. "OK." He loosens his collar and gets quiet. "Look, I was just trying to please you. Ari, I love you, but you are fucking crazy. You're fact-checking me now?" He crumbles the printout and throws it across the room.

"Says the guy who created fake divorce documents! Really? I've never seen anyone take it that far! You have some nerve, Phoenix. The lies just keep coming. When aren't you lying? You're a compulsive liar, aren't you? Go ahead and just admit it. You are, aren't you?"

He stares at me blankly.

"Well, say something! Do you care anything about me? What is this? At least if you told me the truth I'd have a choice. I'd know what this is! You're so much of a control freak you don't even want me to know what I'm in!"

"What you're in?"

"Yes, Phoenix! You're MARRIED and I swore I'd never be one of those girls but you made me one of them, you fucking asshole! You're MARRIED for Christ sake! What do I do with that?" I cover my face in shame and cradle my head in my hands.

"I'm sorry. For lying. For everything. Don't. Please. Don't do that. Don't cry, babe." His eyes are heavy and remorseful. "I love you, Ari. With all my heart! Listen, Nora and I haven't been together in years. It's a marriage of convenience and nothing more. Think about it, I had a girlfriend and you met her, at the club. Remember Kim? We were together for three years. Three! That's how long it's been over between me and Nora."

He's right. He and Kim were an item, long before I ever knew anything about Nora.

How can you say that after all the lies?

I'm pregnant. That's how.

"OK. You're right." I sniffle, wiping my eyes. "You and Kim were together. So, why oh, why aren't you divorced yet? How long does it take? I mean, have you even filed the paperwork yet?"