chapter 52 | if at first you don't succeed

Present Day

I step out of the Audi A7 loaner Leon delivered to my home after having the BMW towed. I grab my laptop case and lock the car as I leave the parking lot. Still pretty early in the morning, I'm one of only a few cars in the parking structure. I walk to the entrance of the huge, all-glass skyscraper that is Prescott Realty. Stopping before the revolving door, I follow the outline all the way to the top.

"Amazing. Isn't it?" A guy I've never seen before with billowy dark curls and glasses stands alongside me admiring the architecture. His crisp white shirt with tie and badge suggests he works here too.

"I've been here maybe two months and I'm still not used to it."

"Tallest building in Milwaukee. Fifty-two stories. Over 740 feet high. I don't think anyone is used to it. You just marvel at a magnificent structure like this."

"Kind of like the guy who had it built. Huh?" I joke, sarcastically.

"You got that right! Prescott Realty has brought real wealth to this city. Well-respected man. I've been here some six years. I was privileged enough to meet the man himself. Mr. Prescott is such a cool dude. You'd never think he's accomplished all that he has as young as he is. I'd love for him to be my mentor."

"Yeah," I reluctantly agree. Wanting the conversation to end, I remain quiet. It's too painful to think of what's been lost.

He looks from the top of the building to the ground. "Well, you have a good one. Don't spend too much time staring. Glare from the sun on the glass can temporarily blind you. I know." He chuckles and with that he hurries inside to start his day.

Just as he's walking away, my phone rings. Mama's beautiful face brightens the screen on my phone.

"Hey Mama!"

"Pickle! Been busy, I see."

"Yes ma'am. Just trying to get my life together."

"Now, what did you have to tell me that was so urgent?"

"Oh." I sigh. "There is so much to tell, Mama. A lot has happened in a short time."

"And who's this Phoenix guy I keep hearing about from Mia and Penelope? When will I get to meet him?"

I laugh. "Don't worry. You'll definitely hear more about him but you just caught me walking into work. Can I call you when I get off?"

"The suspense is killing me but I get it. You got to earn your keep. Remember to call your mama after work, OK? I want to hear all about it."

"Will do. Love you."

"Love you too."

I walk inside Prescott Realty as if everything is fine. I still have bills to pay. I know if I ever need to, I can fall back on Club Lotus. Nick let me know that the day he threw my going away party. I smile at the thought. It's good to know I always have people in my corner. Mama, Mia, and Penelope are gonna flip out when I tell them. I touch my belly. I may need their support sooner than I think.

"Ms. Davenport! Good morning." Stefon, one of the security guards, always makes it a point to acknowledge me personally. Standing next to two of his counterparts, dressed in dark suits and earpieces, they look as if they belong in the Secret Service.

"Morning, Stefon. New suit?"

He runs his hand over his low, faded haircut and smiles coyly. "It is!"

"Looks good on you." I smile politely and swipe my badge at one of three turnstiles. As soon as I'm through the turnstile, he returns to his stoic pose, hands in front. I glance up at the impossibly high ceiling of the swanky lobby. Decked out in mushroom-colored leather couches, a gray and white marble floor, glass coffee and end tables and incredible pieces of bold, breathtaking art, the lobby makes me feel like a person of stature every time I step into it. I hop on the elevator and ride up to the thirty-second floor.