Chapter 54: Past, Present, and Future

I felt embarrassed when I saw so many people in the garden. It had only been grandmother, empress, and me in the garden earlier. When did so many people appear?

"Why are you here Lan?"

                Without a word to the empress or grandmother, Wang Feng took hold of my hand and pulled me to his side. I couldn't stop myself from blushing at our joint hand.

"I've invited Princess Wei Lan and Elder Wang" The empress voice held amusement. "Is that a problem, general?"

                I felt nervous seeing Feng's cold expression. Squeezing his hand, I warned him not to be rude to the empress. Seeing my nervous expression, Wang Feng didn't say anything to the empress. I wasn't sure if his silence was any better than what he was going to say.

"Your majesty" The empress chose to ignore Wang Feng's coldness and greeted the emperor instead. "Why is everyone here instead of the court?"

"The court ended early today. I was heading to the study when your music lured me in my empress"

"Was it my music or the princess sweet voice that lured you?"

"The Zheng lured the emperor. The voice lured the general."

                The empress smiled, obviously pleased by the emperor response.

"Since you've lured so many guests today, should the empress not put together a small meal for everyone to enjoy?"

                The empress laughed softly at the emperor's clever words.

"As you wish your majesty, it is, after all, a very beautiful day to enjoy a meal outside"

                Everyone thanked the empress for her grace.

Soon, several small tables were set up in the garden. I had sat beside Wang Feng, while grandmother sat beside father. Once the meals were brought out, everyone thanked the empress again for her generosity. I was enjoying the nice meal when I felt Feng's hand sliding into mine. Hidden underneath the table, he intertwined our hands together. Glancing up at him, I could see his usual calm expression while he ate with his free hand. Smiling softly, I held onto his hand.

My smiles falter when I noticed Chen Hua Lan stare. Her unhappiness and resentment was as clear as day. Her stare had been so intense that I couldn't bear to look her any further. Again, a deep guilt rose inside me. I knew this guilt will never go away.

"Princess Wei Lan talents again bring many to admire"

                I hadn't been pay attention to the discussion between the officials until I heard my name.

"General Wang, indeed, you are lucky to have found such a treasure"

                Realizing it had been Hou Rong who spoke, I felt uncomfortable. Feng, on the other hand, did not respond nor did he show any reaction to Hou Rong comments.

"Princess Wei Lan"

                I looked at him to see him smiling at me. What did I ever see in that man?

"Recently, Zhou Tao came to me with a marriage request. Does the princess have an opinion on this marriage?"

Somehow, I knew what he was baiting me. His marriages have nothing to do with me. There are no reasons for his question.

"Why do you feel the need to ask my Wang Fei about your personal affairs?" Feng voice was casual – his tone held no anger.

"Zhou Qing. Is she not the princess' mei-mei?" Hou Rong feint innocent. "Hou Rong had hope to hear the princess opinion since it's related to her family"

"Hmph" Feng smirked. "What does that Zhou girl have to do with my Wang Fei? Mei-mei? Don't make me laugh"

                Everyone watched Hou Rong smiles – not affected by Wang Feng sharp cold words.

"General Wang, it's no laughing matter. Princess Wei Lan is related to the Zhou. How can she disregard the family of her father? Are you not afraid what the people would think? In fact, many already question the princess reason for being with the Fa Family instead of the Zhou Family"

                Hou Rong was clearly challenging. Everyone had expected Wang Feng to get angry until he laughed.

"Fa Wei Lan" Wang Feng lifted our joined hands to his lips. "This name suits my Wang Fei"

                Wang Feng looked at Hou Rong with his usual arrogant cold smiles. He purposely held my hand on the table so everyone could see our linked fingers.

"Why would anyone question such a beautiful name?" Feng acted coy before he sighed disappointedly. "Official Hou, Wang Feng had thought you were a top scholar. You should recognized the beauty behind a name before this rough general"

                Everyone suppress a laugh while Hou Rong smiles turned icy – clearly forced.

"Zhou or Fa, what does Lan thinks?"

                I could see the controlled anger behind his eyes.

"Official Hou's opinion, what do you say?"

                Feng didn't need to be angry for me because Hou Rong and his words never mattered to me.

"Zhou Wei Lan... Fa Wei Lan... In the end, Wei Lan is still Wei Lan, daughter of Zhou Ming and Fa Su Lan. Zhou and Fa – 10 years with father, 8 years with grandfather... Zhou is the past, Fa is the present, Wei Lan's future is the Wang"

                The poem was spoken from my heart. Wang Feng's whole face lit up when he smile at me.

"Well said" The emperor suddenly gave a warm laugh. "Zhou and Fa, 18 years comes. 18 years go. In the end, Wei Lan is still Wei Lan. Among the field of flowers, a single blue orchid blooms. No longer Zhou, remembering Fa, and become Wang"

                To hear the emperor responded with a poem, I felt honored.

"My mistake, Hou Rong apologizes to the princess" He bowed his head slightly. "Princess Wei Lan please excuse this official if he had offended you"

"Official Hou did not offend Wei Lan" My voice was steady when I looked at Hou Rong. "To be honest, Wei Lan is troubled with Official Rou question... If Official Hou is asking Wei Lan's opinion of Zhou Qing, Wei Lan does not have the answer. Zhou Qing is Wei Lan fraternal cousin, but Wei Lan did not grow up with her, therefore, cannot have an opinion on her character. If Official Hou is asking Wei Lan's opinion on Zhou and Hou marriage, Wei Lan does not have an opinion. Regarding Official Hou engagement, Wei Lan is only an outsider. Wei Lan and Official Hou are only strangers"

                Hou Rong eyes stared at me, but I didn't flinch or look away. He would attack if I showed weakness.

"Again Hou Rong apologize to the princess"

He bowed his head slightly. The smile on his face looked calm and unreadable. I returned a polite bow of my own before looking back at the man sitting beside me.

The smile on Wang Feng's face was all that matters to me.