Tough

Skipping school is a bad thing, education is important and should be regarded as something with high power. But, I kind of ignored that when running on the treadmill during what would have been third period. It was not responsible of me to skip school, especially when the days of school were diminishing. Summer was upon us and with summer, graduating from the hell hole that I had been attending for the past four years.

Sweat beaded down my forehead as each huff from my mouth exploded into the air. Besides the blasting music in my ears, I heard my heart pound. Maybe it was pounding because I was running a hundred miles per hour, or maybe because I was worried. Old people that were on the treadmills surrounding my own, smacking their lips not freaking out like I was.

I'll admit it, I was scared at what was to come since the little show I had just to put on. There's some parts that I regret and some parts that I do not. I don't regret kissing Thorin, a boy who a lot of people want, in front of everyone. What I do regret is how I did it. It wasn't like me just to go into a crowd and practically scream 'He's mine! Back off!' like I did that day. That is what I regret, how I pretty much yelled to the whole world that Thorin and I were indeed dating.

Something in the corner of my eye moved, taking my attention away from my little fuck up to the treadmill beside me. Sandals, one of the few fashion choices that should be made when being in the gym, came into my view. My eyes traveled up from the opened toed shoes to the khakis that wore them and up to the business jacket and tucked in buttoned up shirt.

An old hand waved at me. An old hand that shouldn't have been at the gym. I mean, I shouldn't have been there either, but still. At least I wasn't a teacher that should have been teaching science or pretend he wasn't helping Thorin with the underground fighting.

"What are you doing here?" I tried to keep my huffing to a minimum but I did just run two miles and my ass was tired. My lungs had been working hard so the huffing was inevitable.

Mr. Louis gave me a sheepish smile. "I could ask the same, Flora."

I was shocked. My feet tripped, nearly taking me down from the treadmill but I continued on with my semi fast walk. "I'm shocked that you remembered my name, twice." Then again, maybe he and Thorin talked about me because obviously, they're buddies.

"Why, you're my favorite student?" He said, pausing his treadmill. The old man next to him continued to power walk, swishing his loud sleeves back and forth. I didn't know what was louder, the sound of his feet pounding or his sleeves.

Again, I was shocked and forced to pause my own treadmill. With disbelief, my eyes stayed on the man. "If you're just saying those things just to make sure I won't snitch, you're wasting your time. I'm not going to snitch."

Mr. Louis turned on the treadmill again, continuing to walk with a grin on his face. "I'm serious Flora, you're my favorite student. No brown nosing here."

There was no reason for me to be his favorite. I didn't talk, let alone to him and I left constantly. If anything, I should have been one of his least favorite students. "Why?" I said slowly, furrowing my brows and continue with my own walk.

"Because Flora, just because I have glasses, doesn't mean I can't see."

I'm all for philosophical old men, but not really at the gym. This is where I got my sweat on, burn the calories and forget that anything besides dumbbells existed. The gym wasn't somewhere I wanted to hear something that would change my way of thinking. But then again, Mr. Louis didn't really talk to me so when he's speaking, maybe it's something that should be heard.

"And?" I wanted him to keep going, just so maybe this conversation would end a little sooner.

"I've watched you grown into a fine woman." He readjusted his glasses.