Chapter 30

"You have such a beautiful face" the spirit cooed, her eyeless face examining with curiosity.

"I am Dakota Lee" I state boldly, even though I was petrified "The Moon Spirit."

The front mouth hangs open, showing an expression of shock. "So you are the human that The Moon Spirit pitied" she pauses, and then suddenly one of her faces is directly in front of mine. Stumbling back, the spirit chuckles at my fear "You are a weak spirit, definitely not one to hold such a title."

"The Mother Of Faces" I whisper to myself, trying to figure out where I heard that name. Where had I heard that?

"Child" the spirit says loudly "What is your reason for being here?"

"Iroh brought me here, he said that you could help me" I reply quickly, slowly gazing back up at the woman. 

"I sense guilt and pain" the spirit states, her tone softer than before "Do you wish to escape your current life? I can make you a new face, a new life."

Shaking my head, I run a hand through my hair. "I hurt someone, they may not be my friend, or even someone I like, but she didn't deserve the pain I caused her."

"Leinani Ho" The Mother states, proving she knew of my entire situation "The descendant of Zuko and Saki. I remember those two, along with your grandparents. Such demanding people they are."

This spirit was beginning to creep me out, but if Iroh brought me here in hopes of helping me, I had to try. "When I was blessed with spiritual power, I was close to death. Even now, there's just so much, I can't take it."

"What are you asking of me, child?" she questions, lowering into the water somewhat, she was becoming impatient.

Shaking my head, I sigh "I want you to weaken my powers, until the next full moon. Give me time to control my power. If you can control the physical and mental appearance of someone, surely you can change what they can control."

"Young spirit-"

"Please" I interrupt her, my eyes widening that the words managed to break free. "You helped people for thousands of years, you gave people a second chance, I just want that chance. To prove to myself, and the world that I'm not a monster, not what my father was, and his father was."

"I accept your request" The Mother says eerily "Your power will be weak, until the next full moon. Don't depend on it to save your life, young spirit, for it will fail you."

"Thank you, thank you so much" I smile, just as her wooden fingers press on my temple.

Gasping, I feel a weight slide off of my shoulders. The spirit's faces glow brightly, the light shooting all throughout the forest. Letting out a sigh, I press a hand to my forehead.

"Now, during the time before the full moon, you are not aloud to come back and beg for your abilities back, or they shall be taken from you permanently."

"Thank you, Mother Of Faces" I say, bowing respectively to her.

"You are welcome, young spirit, but beware as your travels continue in the Spirit World, watch out for my son" she warns, moving across the pool. "While I give faces, he steals them."

Turning, I let out a large breath, before walking away from the pool.

The field I once walked through was gone, leaving me to wander through a brighter forest. Birds, or at least what I thought was birds sung above me. Wanting to test if the spirit really did take away some of my power, my hand pulls through the air.

Nothing.

Where was a pool of water when I needed one? Trudging through the forest, the landscape suddenly changes, the grassy ground shifted into sand, and the tress fell apart into the ocean that seemed to go on forever.

Smiling, I slowly raise a hand, and an extremely small water stream is pulled from the ocean. Slowly tightening my hand, I attempt to freeze the small amount of water, but it takes more effort than usual. 

The Mother Of Faces was a truthful spirit at least. Pulling water from the ocean, I press it into the sand, slowly freezing it into a circle. 

Looking down at the circle, I catch my reflection. My hair was a mess, sweat caking my face. Pulling off the large jacket from my body, I wipe the sweat away, trying to fix my hair the best I could.

But as I did, the reflection of myself began to change, showing Korra instead of myself. A look of anger covered her face, her mouth moved, but no noise emitted, at least for me. Spirits, if only she knew how to come into the Spirit World

Then her face was pulled away, showing Bolin, who wore an expression of fear. Eyes wide, he also spoke, but yet again I couldn't hear nothing. As she was ripped away from view, I saw a flash of Eska, her purple eyeshadow blinding.

Asami replaced the purple mess, papers spread out along a desktop. Her fingers were rubbing her temples. Clearly she was stressed. She slowly faded away

Next, Mako formed in the ice. He was strung across a bed, eyes closed. I smiled, seeing that at least one of us could be peaceful. Surprisingly, I missed him and him constantly constantly calling me by my nickname.

Finally, I found Leinani. Determination hounded over her face. Quickly she thrusted a hand forward, a blast of fire emitting from her palm. My eyes widened instantly, Leinani could bend? How is that even possible?

My attention was drawn away from the glass however when a voice less soft and kind from that of The Mother Of Faces rang out. "She's beautiful, isn't she?"