24

We landed halfway through the night, Phoenix needed rest. "I've never carried anyone bigger than Ruby," he explained, sitting on the ground. He slipped his jacket off and laid it on the ground. I looked at him, confused. He only smiled and let his wings droop, laying on the jacket. 

"I don't like my wings touching the ground," he said. I nodded and leaned back, resting against a tree, huddled against the cool air. 

"So," I said, wrapping my arms around my legs. He smiled at me. "What?"

"Nothing," he said, still looking at me. 

"What is it?"

He sighed and squinted at me. "It's just..." He sighed again, his breath making a white cloud in the air. "You're supposed to go and defeat a whole army and fight a dragon and be the Warrior..."

"But?"

"But here you are, all curled up against the cold, with your arms wrapped around your legs and whatnot." He smiled at me and I blushed, looking away. "Are you cold?"

"No," I lied. The jacket was helping, but I was still chilled. 

"Come here," he said, extending an arm. I stood up and crossed over to him. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close, heat emanating from him. I smiled and moved closer, the chill already disappearing. "It's a little perk of my powers. Never cold."

He wrapped his arm around me and played with my hair. I cautiously leaned against his chest. My heart started beating a little faster, blood rushing to my face again. I felt...safe. 

No.

No, no, no, I could not do this again. "Um, I need to move around a little," I said, standing. 

"Are you okay?" Of course he asked me that. He was protective and caring and-

No.

"Yeah, my leg is just falling asleep. I'm going to walk around a bit."

"Alright, just don't go far." I nodded.

What the hell was I thinking? I could not fall in love again, not even a little bit. Not again. Tears already burned my eyes, Peter's eyes flashing in my mind, his blood covering my hands, their screams of pain-

"Raven, breathe." His breath tickled my ear. I opened my eyes and found myself looking into his. His beautiful wings were draped around me protectively. "Can you hear me?"

"What-" I paused, trying to sit up. "What happened?" He helped me up and brushed my hair away from my face. He was scared. 

"You just-you collapsed, like you were in pain. And then you started crying and sort of screaming..." he trailed off.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, trying not to cry. He laughed and said, "What do you have to be sorry for?" 

"I don't know, I just am."

"Promise me you will never apologize to me ever again, please?" I looked at him and put my hand on his forearm to steady myself. 

"What if I got you killed? Even then?"

"Even then," he said, smiling weakly. "Promise me."

I inhaled deeply and was aware of how hard I was shaking. The night air seemed even colder, but his arm was warm. I wrapped my arms around his neck, waiting for the shaking to stop. He held me tight and whispered, "Promise me."

"I promise."