Waiting Ch. 16

Chapter Sixteen

Lexie and Kristi were so happy for me, and continued to be. By Monday, Kristi wouldn't stop talking about it. Now every time we passed Mason and his friends they didn't only talk to me, but to Kristi too, which made her feel special.

Nikolas and Russell ignored me, and continued to be popular. The girls around them though, wouldn't go out with the two of them. This made everyone laugh each time they were turned down by one of the girls.

Dad was getting better, he would have us all sit down for dinner, and sometimes even talk to us! There were days when he just couldn't take it, and would retreat into his study, but he tried his best for Lexie. His light brown hair started to get gray, and his blue eyes tired. He wore a smile for Lexie, though it was tired, and tried and tried to not let her in on how sad and lonely he was.

The nightmares weren't as bad for Lexie now. Now I was able to sleep in my own bed for some nights. Other nights she would scream to the top of her lungs, and Dad wouldn't even know she was screaming, or just chose not to hear her.

Then there was Mason. Mason, Mason, Mason. He was so cute, and I felt like I talk about anything with him. He blushed every time he gave me a compliment, which I thought was cute, and kissed me on the forehead all the time, which I also thought was cute.

"Where are we going?" I giggled, as Mason put the car in drive.

He looked over at me with a smile, and winked at me. "It's a secret," He whispered. I couldn't help but smile as he drove.

"It better not be a Christmas gift," I warned, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe," He whispered.

"Mason," I shrieked, trying not to smile, "We said nothing to big! You promised!"

"Who said it was big?" He asked, shrugging.

"Well if you have to drive to it," I started.

He laughed, and shrugged, "This is what I wanted to do."

"But this makes my gift to you like nothing," I grumbled.

"Well what did you get me?" He questioned.

"Gift cards to some of your favorite places," I whispered.

"Seriously? Like Modell?" He looked over at me, with eyebrows raised.

"Yeah," I muttered, "And a McDonald's one, and even a book store one."

"Sweet," He cried, "Thanks Tayl!"

"It's not that big," I murmured, "But now I feel bad."

"Don't," He told me.

I sighed, and crossed my arms over my chest. The days went by so quickly when I was with Mason. It had been about a month since the fire. I didn't forget about it, but I didn't think about it when I went to sleep or when it was quiet.

The car started to slow down, and I looked around. "Where are we?" I asked.

I looked straight ahead, and looked at a big Christmas tree. It was just standing there in the middle of a small meadow. The tree was lit with bright lights, and small ordainments. "What is it?" I asked.

"It's a Christmas tree silly," He laughed.

I glared at him, and said, "I know what it is, but what is it doing in this meadow?"

"It's our light for our picnic," He answered, and reached in the back seat. "I brought coats again.

I smiled at him, and got out of the car. I ran up to the Christmas tree, hugging my arms tightly, and looked at how pretty it was. "Wow," I whispered, "It's beautiful."