Waiting Ch. 17

Chapter Seventeen

Christmas went by fast, along with the days that followed. We got a visit from 'Santa Claus,' and Lexie started to cry because she thought he wouldn't know where to find her. I traded gifts with my Dad and gave Mason his gift cards. I also gave Kristi her gift, which we a gift card to the salon to get her hair dyed professionally.

Before I knew it, it was New Years Eve. Dad was going out, and he said I could invite a few friends over for a party, which was totally unexpected from him. Of course I invited Kristi and Mason, but I also invited a few girls from my homeroom, Adam, James, Jordyn, and even Sam. They were all supposed to come over by seven, so I was a mess trying to get everything ready.

"Can I help?" Lexie asked who was sitting on the couch.

"Sure," I said, "You can put the napkins and utensils out." She jumped off the couch eagerly, and ran into the kitchen.

I ran the vacuum, and moved furniture out of the way. I cleaned up every room of the house, even though the party was only on the first floor.

Kristi was the first over, offering to help. She fixed Lexie's hair, curling it around her shoulders, and then went upstairs with her to pick up an outfit. Mason, Adam, and James came next. They all hugged me, and Mason kissed me gently.

By 7:30, everyone was over. Music played in the background, while everyone stood around talking. "You look beautiful," Mason whispered in my ear, putting his arms around me. I smiled up at him, and kissed his chin.

Lexie got off the couch, and turned on the TV. Then when she saw all of the people on the screen, she just left the room. "Lexie, where are you going?" I asked.

She didn't answer me, and then soon came back with pots and pans held in her arms. She gripped tightly to metal spoons, and spatulas. "Who wants to bang pots and pans at midnight?" She yelled over the noise.

No one responded for a minute, and then finally Adam said, "I will!" He walked over to Lexie smiling, and took a pot and a metal spatula.

"Me too," Sam said. Before I knew it, everyone had a some sort of pot in their hands, ready to bang them.

"We'll bang them outside," Lexie announced, "So that everyone knows it's a new year!"

I smiled at her, and she handed both Mason and I pots. "What are we going to use to hit them?" I asked.

"Just bang yours together," She said, motioning to Mason's. Then she winked at me, like it was a small secret we shared.

"Smart girl," Mason commented, before kissing my forehead.

"That's my sister," I shrugged.

"Hey," Adam said, coming over, "I like your sissy. She's sweet and different."

"Thanks," I said, "And thanks for volunteering, I was afraid no one was going too."

"Don't worry," He laughed, "I've never done this before. When I was little, my Mom would send us to bed like any other night. At 9."

"Wow," I said.

"Yeah, but then the next year, when I turned sixteen," He started. I burst out into laughter, and he smiled at me. "Just kidding," He said, "But she did send us to bed. She didn't think New Year's should have been a holiday. One year she tried to make us learn."

"You were homeschooled?" I asked.

"No," He laughed, "She hardly knew anything herself, but she still tried to make us learn. It didn't work out though, my brother, Tommy, through a fit, and that was the end of it."